Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues making install disk for SSD upgrade in mid 2011 27" iMac

I have tried everything to make a USB install disk but it is a pain in my bootay! Need an install disk for macOS High Seirra or anything that will work to boot this new drive then I can upgrade, lol. I have tried 'command + R' and 'command + option + R' but nothing was successful for the new drive. Tried downloading the patch and install this and install that and nothing worked. Then I had viewed one site that said 'shift + option + command + R' was a way to go back to the beginning OS for the system and it was about to work..... but when it came time to choose a drive to install Lion on, lol, it does not read the SSD. Although, in disk utility I can see it, so the system knows it is installed. I get a message on start up about the drive not readable and it gives an option to initialize or erase or ignore. I chose initialize and it opens disk management, there is only options to erase, restore or first aid. OWC says it is an Apple issue even though I just dropped $600 to them, guess business is that good to not want to help potential life customers. Apple has been great but was thinking there is a guru floating the realms of the world wide web who might want to astonish a rookie! Actually, just a high school special education math teacher but I like to fix my own ****! Yes, that is a mathematical term for broken technology.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 12:34 AM

Click on Initialise, Disk Utility opens, now click on View in the menubar, click on Show All Devices, highlight the SSD in the sidebar, now click Erase. When the Erase dialogue opens give the disk a name, choose how to format it, if you want to install High Sierra you might want to format it as APFS, then you need to choose a scheme, select GUID Partition Map.

If you are planning to install Lion then you will need to format the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID partition scheme. If you install Lion, and want to upgrade to High Sierra you will need to install El Capitan, after Lion. How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

What OS are you on, what do you want?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 12:34 AM in response to Sacredelements

Click on Initialise, Disk Utility opens, now click on View in the menubar, click on Show All Devices, highlight the SSD in the sidebar, now click Erase. When the Erase dialogue opens give the disk a name, choose how to format it, if you want to install High Sierra you might want to format it as APFS, then you need to choose a scheme, select GUID Partition Map.

If you are planning to install Lion then you will need to format the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID partition scheme. If you install Lion, and want to upgrade to High Sierra you will need to install El Capitan, after Lion. How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

What OS are you on, what do you want?

Jun 8, 2019 1:43 AM in response to Sacredelements

Well you will need to check that your apps like Photoshop are compatible with the OS you choose to install, older versions of PS probably will not work in High Sierra. It is also important to check with your printers manufacturer that your printer has updated drivers and software for the newer OS's, a lot of people are caught out and end up with obsolete printers/ scanners.

For app compatibility see this, https://roaringapps.com

Issues making install disk for SSD upgrade in mid 2011 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.