Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reinstall macOS after latest update

This is a complicated situation:

iMac 2010 with ATI graphics, 500 GB original HDD, DVD failed after few years and I've replaced it with 275 GB SSD. Installed fresh OSX to 275 GB which is a primary drive. All working as normal. OSX was updated until High Sierra I think (10.13.xx); I'm not an expert with the numbers or OS names.

Due to iMac age, it wouldn't allow installation of El Capitan or any latest OS - no problem for me. However, the OS insisted on some security updates and then it wouldn't boot anymore.

I booted into recovery mode to reinstall the macOS. It checked if I'm eligible and confirmed it's OK. Then it started to download the files from their server... and it stopped. As I understand the log file, it fails with some "El Capitan" messages. I suspect it doesn't know I could only get the High Sierra. No luck to make the system work!

Took Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and installed it onto 275 GB. I had to edit the GRUB to make the graphics work. Installation was quick and easy. However, after the reboot, I get no graphics at all (I think Ubuntu starts but due to driver incompatibility it shows only a black screen). I had to connect a USB keyboard and managed to get into Ubuntu's boot options. Here, the keyboard doesn't work anymore. So I'm stuck.

After a (hard) reboot, iMac always boots into Ubuntu without giving me an option to select which OS to boot in. The original bluetooth keyboard is not responding at all so I cannot get up to the boot drive (holding the Option key). Command+R also doesn't work.

Is there any other way than removing the 275 GB drive?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 6:15 AM

Sorry, no legal way to get it outside of Appple, is there an Apple Store nearby?

What Format did Ubuntu put on the SSD???

Lots of that error, possible cure...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250395258?answerId=250806987022#250806987022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250396333?answerId=250786817022#250786817022

https://www.hskupin.info/2016/11/08/how-to-solve-apple-id-login-failure-amd-actiondownloadproductsp/

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 4:14 PM in response to tminc

Actually a Mid 2010 iMac can run & Install up to 10.13.6...

Pre-Installed MacOS:X 10.6.3 (10D2322a)Maximum MacOS:X 10.13.x*

10.12 & 10.13 have the same requirements, I find not much diff in the 2 other than 10.12 Sierra is easier to live with...

General Requirements

• OS X 10.7.5 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8.8GB of available storage
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Mac Hardware Requirements

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac, then choose More Info. These Mac models are compatible with macOS Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

it stopped. As I understand the log file, it fails with some "El Capitan" messages. I suspect it doesn't know I could only get the High Sierra. No luck to make the system work!

El Capitan was 10.11, before 10.12 Sierra & 10.13 High Sierra.

Try an SMC Reset, Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Jun 16, 2019 6:52 AM in response to tminc

Do you have access to another Mac computer where you can sign into the App Store using your Apple ID and download High Sierra? Then quit the installer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using these free programs which will do all the work for you. Boot the iMac while holding down the option key and select the USB drive. Once booted, run Disk Utility/First Aid. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase. Use the APFS format, then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then install the OS.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X      Disk Creator   or use Apple’s method       Create a bootable installer for OS

How to get macOS High Sierra   

Jun 15, 2019 10:55 PM in response to BDAqua

More information from original post:

I got myself an Apple USB keyboard which worked in GRUB. I've been able to change the settings and correctly boot into Ubuntu.

The original Apple's keyboard also worked with holding an Option key to pop-up a menu which drive I use to boot. All good so far, I've booted into HDD with version 10.12 (Sierra?). Formatted the SSD with Ubuntu.

From now on, also original Apple's bluetooth started to work again since boot.

Then, I used AppStore to install highSierra. The problem was highSierra is not available to download. It fails with a message like "amd-action downloadproduct sp". Same thing happens if I boot into recovery mode.

My iMac is too old for Mojave.

So I'm stuck. The original OS that came with my Mac is on a DVD but my drive has failed few years ago. Is there a way to (legally) download the highSierra dmg? There are posts in the internet but I'd like to get an "official" response. I hope it's not "buy a new Mac".

Thanks.

Cannot reinstall macOS after latest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.