Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie library problem after migration

I used migration assistant to setup a new MacBook Pro from an old one (both running updated Mojave). When I try to open my iMovie library I get this error, and iMovie closes:

"The operation couldn’t be completed. One or more of the libraries were created with a newer version of iMovie. These libraries will be ignored."

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 8:46 AM

Try going to your Movies folder in the Finder and double clicking on your old library. That should open iMovie.

Another thing that you can try is to open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Now see if you can reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

One more thing that you can try is to open iMovie while holding down the Option key. In the box that appears, select one of your old libraries to open. See if that works.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2019 8:46 AM in response to GBC2015

Try going to your Movies folder in the Finder and double clicking on your old library. That should open iMovie.

Another thing that you can try is to open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Now see if you can reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

One more thing that you can try is to open iMovie while holding down the Option key. In the box that appears, select one of your old libraries to open. See if that works.

-- Rich

Jun 12, 2019 8:14 AM in response to GBC2015

The next thing to try is a redownload of iMovie from the app store. Move your current iMovie from the Applications folder to the trash, but do not empty the trash. Then go to the online Apple app store and check your updates and purchased folders and see if you can download a new or updated version of iMovie. If for some reason the download is not available, you can move your old iMovie app back to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Jun 12, 2019 8:21 AM in response to Rich839

While you are looking in your applications folder for your iMovie app, check to see how many versions of iMovie that you have in the folder. You may have one from the new MacBook Pro and one that you migrated over from the old one. If this is your situation, perhaps iMovie is getting confused between the two. Try moving one of them out of the applications folder into the trash, but again don't empty the trash. See if your remaining version opens. If still no luck, move your old iMovie out of the trash and back to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

iMovie library problem after migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.