You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yandex search engine

Recently bought a Mini with Mojave. I migrated my data from a 2009 iMac that was running El Capitan.

I don't normally use Safari, but opened it as part of web site testing. I found the Yandex search engine installed, but I didn't not think much of it.

Until yesterday, when I learned Yandex isn't in some systems. I happened to see another Mojave based Mac that did not include Yandex.

I wonder how I have Yandex, and the other system does not. I found a web page that said APPle had added Yandex to Safari in iOS7, but very little else.

All of which leads to questions such as, is it safe, why is it on my system, was it ever added to OS X, etc.

This started because I wondered if I could add my choice of search engine to Safari.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 6:58 AM

12 replies

Jun 9, 2019 7:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

Something has been installed.

Just to be a smartass, that's a statement of the obvious! LOL

Looked at extensions before even posting the original message. Nothing in Extensions.

If I had to guess on a timeframe, something went awry when Apple added Yandex to certain iOS7 devices in 2013.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/11/apple-yandex-ios-7-russia/

Which Mac OS I was running at the time I have no idea.

Jun 9, 2019 9:38 AM in response to Eric Root

When I found the webpage saying Apple had added it to iOS 7, I figured it was legitimate.

If it was downloaded and installed with something else, then there must be a way to remove it. I checked it out when I spotted it. When I found everything was in some foreign language, using a Cyrillilc (I think) alphabet, I knew something was up.

But I can't seem anything on the web about how to do it.

Jun 9, 2019 9:49 AM in response to snowshed

Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.  It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Please do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yandex-browser.html

Jun 9, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Eric Root

That's the first thing I did. I downloaded the latest and greatest. The scan came up clean.

Which is what it should do if it's legitimate. It's not logical that scanning multiple times will make any difference. I'm still in the 14 day free trial period.

I'll run it again in a few minutes.

FYI, I've used Malwarebytes Free for years on Windows.

Jun 9, 2019 3:40 PM in response to Eric Root

What manual instructions... LOL In the current version, you scan or you don't scan, there are no options to choose.

Since this probably came with my migration from a Mac with El Capitan, who knows where it came from. For all I know, it could have come with something I downloaded from the App Store or some other site many years ago. I don't know if we can ever learn when it was installed.

Jun 9, 2019 5:47 PM in response to Eric Root

OK... Let's back up.

I am not talking about the Yandex Browser. It has never been installed on my Mac, either this Mac or the Mac it replaced.

I have never installed any extension in Safari, since I use Safari maybe 5 times a year, just to check to see if a particular web page exhibits the same issues I'm having in Firefox.

I am talking about the Yandex Search Engine, that is an option in Safari Preferences list for a default search engine.

My default web browser is Firefox, which it has been since 2009.

I can't remove what doesn't exist, and never has existed. I would like to remove the Yandex Search Engine listed in Safari Preferences.

:-)

Jun 10, 2019 8:30 AM in response to Eric Root

Yep. :-) I don't use Safari, and only one cookie was installed.... Apple.com! LOL

I set up an old iMac system with El Capitan I still have, Yandex is there too. This system's data was migrated from El Capitan, so I'll bet that's where it came from.

And that tells me there's a file somewhere that contains the Search Engine info, and probably editable with the knowledge and right software.

Yandex search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.