Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching to icloud

I upgraded to 2TB of storage a week ago. iCloud has not backed up more than 45GB worth of my stuff. I have over 400GB of items. Acts like it's uploading constantly. The total number of items gradually goes down, but one of the folders says only 680mb of 348GB has been uploaded.

Our internet connection is about 100mbps... not slow. It's like it's being throttled.

Dropbox, OTOH, has no problem uploading and syncing everything as soon as I make a change.

I realize the size of the folder I added may be part of the issue, but this is absolutely crazy. It's to the point that because it's so focused on the iCloud Drive back up, that it's doing NOTHING with iBooks or anything else. I have tried toggling back and forth.. which helped initially, more things got uploaded/updated.. and then it's back to the slow stuff again.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 7:13 PM

tried toggling back and forth.. which helped initially, more things got uploaded/updated.. and then it's back to the slow stuff again.

You need to stop doing that.

This alone could be the reason for your slowness. Uploading to iCloud is not a simple FTP dump of content to the cloud. There is much back and forth as macOS and iCloud exchange data integrity information. Toggling starts that process over again.

Patience for the initial upload is key.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2019 7:13 PM in response to icloudfail2

tried toggling back and forth.. which helped initially, more things got uploaded/updated.. and then it's back to the slow stuff again.

You need to stop doing that.

This alone could be the reason for your slowness. Uploading to iCloud is not a simple FTP dump of content to the cloud. There is much back and forth as macOS and iCloud exchange data integrity information. Toggling starts that process over again.

Patience for the initial upload is key.

Jun 9, 2019 7:15 PM in response to LACAllen

Initially it wouldn't even show an upload status - so for days it sat there doing nothing. I had to toggle and eventually run commands in terminal, which at least got it to start uploading and show a status! So is it just a game now of 'it'll take however long it takes'? It's disconcerting to see the numbers bouncing everywhere, almost as though it's not uploading things at all.

Jun 9, 2019 8:31 PM in response to icloudfail2

So is it just a game now of 'it'll take however long it takes'?

As I said before, yes. iCloud is not Dropbox.

had to toggle and eventually run commands in terminal

IMO, terminal commands may may it worse. Finding a terminal command on Youtube or elsewhere online does not mean a terminal command is needed or helpful.

Where is this 400GB of content stored right now? If it's on an external drive, note that it also being mirrored/synced to your system drive. That could be the issue. Have you noticed the available space on your system drive getting less?

Switching to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.