Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't change ID

I took over the iphone my wife had as she bought a new iphone. How do I change the apple ID associated with this old phone? I have an apple ID I use with itunes. When I try to edit the email on the phone, my wife's email, the system tells me my email can't be used because it is linked to another apple ID. I guess I need someone to explain the apple ID-email connection

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 10, 2019 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2019 5:27 PM

Ask you wife to do the steps in the article below.

Selling/Giving Away Device

2 replies

Jun 10, 2019 4:22 PM in response to FormerPM57

if you are trying to create an apple ID and you are getting a notification that it is already an apple ID, then that email address is already used as an apple ID. the email address serves as a sort of username for an apple ID, if it is already linked, that means someone has already create an apple ID with that email as its "username".

if you have already used this email as an apple ID, make sure you are trying to sign into it and not create a new one.

can't change ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.