Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get incorrect heart rate spikes while exercising (see screen shot)?

While working out on the elliptical trainer I get incorrect heart rate spikes (see attached).

I'm 79 years old. On the elliptical, my correct heart rate is between 100 and 110 — checked pulse manually and indicated on the elliptical display. When Apple Watch was reading around 140, the manually measured and displayed heart rate was 110.

Except for the spike to 146, the heart rate shown in Apple Watch appears to be correct.

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:49 AM

No, in the middle. According to Apple Watch, it was around 100 in the early part of the workout, spiked to 146 for a few minutes, went back to around 100 for the rest of the workout. I'm pretty sure that the 146 is an incorrect reading. According to the elliptical display and the manually checked pulse, the heart rate remained at around 100 through the workout.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2019 11:49 AM in response to Randy-12

No, in the middle. According to Apple Watch, it was around 100 in the early part of the workout, spiked to 146 for a few minutes, went back to around 100 for the rest of the workout. I'm pretty sure that the 146 is an incorrect reading. According to the elliptical display and the manually checked pulse, the heart rate remained at around 100 through the workout.

Jun 11, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Enver Masud

Make sure the watch is fastened snugly. During exercise, especially if you're using your hands and wrists (as you would on an elliptical, it can be helpful to move the watch up your arm a half inch or so toward your elbow.

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2019 2:08 PM in response to Randy-12

I guess a hard reset will remove all my settings, complications, . . .

I'm sure it is the watch that is incorrect. Here's another view of the hear rate data for one hour. From around 10:10 am 10:30 the watch is show a hear rate around 140 — which I know to be incorrect. I've been using a fitness club for more than 25 years and monitor my hear rate frequently. I bough the watch about four months ago.

Jun 11, 2019 12:47 PM in response to Enver Masud

First off as seanfromllanelli mentioned above, when in doubt check with your doctor.

If you're sure it is the watch you can try re-calibration of the fitness data

From your iPhone>My Watch>Privacy>Rest Fitness Calibration Data

After that I would do a hard reset on the watch

Hold the side button and the crown in until you see the Apple logo and then release.

Why do I get incorrect heart rate spikes while exercising (see screen shot)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.