Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini and ELO touchscreen

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use a touchscreen display (more precisely an ELO 3243) will work with a Mac Mini. From the ELO website it appears that a driver is needed, but I haven't gotten a definite answer from anyone.

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 6:07 AM

From their web site the only drivers they offer are for very very old releases of OS X (10.6, Snow Leopard is the newest driver I see there). So I am inclined to believe their specs that say only Windows platforms are currently supported.

But you will need to talk with the company tech support about what, exactly, they can or do offer for Mac users. MacOS has no built in support for touch screens, so any solution you find is going to need to include its own software to drive any touch interface.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 6:07 AM in response to capitanJEFE

From their web site the only drivers they offer are for very very old releases of OS X (10.6, Snow Leopard is the newest driver I see there). So I am inclined to believe their specs that say only Windows platforms are currently supported.

But you will need to talk with the company tech support about what, exactly, they can or do offer for Mac users. MacOS has no built in support for touch screens, so any solution you find is going to need to include its own software to drive any touch interface.

Jun 12, 2019 7:01 AM in response to capitanJEFE

If the driver for macOS is available for the touch screen controller used in your display, then it's no problem. I've done this many times in the past, but not specifically on Mojave. So in general it can be done, but if it doesn't work there is very little you can to do make it work. There are absolutely no guarantees.

Elo basically uses 3rd-party drivers from touch-base.com

From what I see, it looks like that the UPDD v6 (latest) drivers support virtually all the various of Elotouch monitors. Which is good, because they are awful about listing which specific controller exactly is used in which specific model number. These are semi-universal drivers essentially, and they do work in High Sierra 10.13, so that's pretty encouraging (but no guarantee) they will work with Mojave 10.14.

The fact that you're running a Mac Mini doesn't really matter, it's all about which version of OS X or macOS you are using.

To be reasonably sure I would email them at technical@touch-base.com to find out if their UPDD v6 drivers work on Mojave (if that's what you have), or not. If they claim specifically that it's been tested in Mojave, then great! If they just say it works on whatever-old-version "and above" that's totally meaningless.

Here is a great simplified guide on how to install the drivers:

https://slatemt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001548048-Touch-not-working-on-High-Sierra-No-Registered-Devices-

Their official touch-base.com guide is one I find very painful to read and adds very very little useful info and buries the important information at the link above, but here it is:

http://support.touch-base.com/Documentation/50334/Mac

Since they do work in High Sierra most likely they still work in Mojave, but you have to consider if you're willing to take the reasonable risk they won't and if you'd be able to return your ELO or not.

Hopefully someone here has had affirmative recent experience using UPDD drivers w/ Mojave, but that's extremely not common.

Lastly, keep in mind that macOS 10.15 Catalina coming out this fall supports "sidecar" which is a feature that let's you use an iPad as an extended monitor with touch screen for macOS:

macOS Catalina - Features - Apple

Along those lines, even if UPDD works with Mojave there's even less guarantee they will continue to work with Catalina. So even if you get the ELO working I would only go down this road if you are prepared to stay on your current macOS and perhaps may not ever be able to upgrade. This is another factor to consider.

That being said, I have always loved ELO, they are the best in terms of touch screen monitor hardware.

Mac Mini and ELO touchscreen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.