Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had a service technician tell me I need to update my 2016 MAC from a mechanical HD to a solid state HD because I upgraded to Mojave? does this sound correct? The price was very unappealing!

I had a service technician tell me I need to update my 2016 MAC from a mechanical HD to a solid state HD because I upgraded to Mojave? does this sound correct? The price was very unappealing!

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 9:59 PM

SSD's are so much better, like if you are on a MacBook SSDs use less power and therefore generate less heat, will give you improved battery life, and makes your fans run less (also helping battery life). They are much more reliable and...of course, way faster. They are can be very inexpensive these days if you buy them yourself directly, but it depends on the model and if you can use a normal generic/Windows laptop-style SATA ssd drive versus a Mac-model-specific ssd stick.

However, unless your current hard disk drive is failing you don't need to update it, or unless your Mac is running to slow for your tastes you don't need to update it. However, I can understand a technician strongly advising that you should update it.

Here is what I suggest:

• If you are happy with your Mac, don't upgrade the SSD! Just buy an external USB hard disk drive for $80 or so and keep regular Time Machine backups in case your drive ever fails.
  • If you want to explore doing it yourself look up what Mac model you have under Apple logo menu, About this Mac. Like "MacBook Pro late-2016" or whatever. Do an internet search for that + SSD upgrade OWC. That will take you to Macsales.com and hopefully to the page that lists exactly how much drives can be purchased for your particular model. There are usually links to videos there on how to install it.
  • You can also do an internet search for your model + SSD replacement ifixit to find detailed tutorial/videos for your model on ifixit.com.

By doing these last two things you can see how much the hardware would cost, even order it yourself directly if you want to upgrade, and can see exactly how difficult it is and determine if you want to pay for someone else to do it for you. With a Time Machine backup it's easy to move your backup onto a fresh hard drive.

As a technician, I would say price + $75 would be a great deal, and price + $150 for labor would be a fair deal. Anything beyond that for such a simple operation I would find someone cheaper. And if you have access to a university or corporate IT department, or even a Windows technician you know and trust, they can easily follow the iFixit guide to do it themselves even if they don't know Macs.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2019 9:59 PM in response to BenjHarley

SSD's are so much better, like if you are on a MacBook SSDs use less power and therefore generate less heat, will give you improved battery life, and makes your fans run less (also helping battery life). They are much more reliable and...of course, way faster. They are can be very inexpensive these days if you buy them yourself directly, but it depends on the model and if you can use a normal generic/Windows laptop-style SATA ssd drive versus a Mac-model-specific ssd stick.

However, unless your current hard disk drive is failing you don't need to update it, or unless your Mac is running to slow for your tastes you don't need to update it. However, I can understand a technician strongly advising that you should update it.

Here is what I suggest:

• If you are happy with your Mac, don't upgrade the SSD! Just buy an external USB hard disk drive for $80 or so and keep regular Time Machine backups in case your drive ever fails.
  • If you want to explore doing it yourself look up what Mac model you have under Apple logo menu, About this Mac. Like "MacBook Pro late-2016" or whatever. Do an internet search for that + SSD upgrade OWC. That will take you to Macsales.com and hopefully to the page that lists exactly how much drives can be purchased for your particular model. There are usually links to videos there on how to install it.
  • You can also do an internet search for your model + SSD replacement ifixit to find detailed tutorial/videos for your model on ifixit.com.

By doing these last two things you can see how much the hardware would cost, even order it yourself directly if you want to upgrade, and can see exactly how difficult it is and determine if you want to pay for someone else to do it for you. With a Time Machine backup it's easy to move your backup onto a fresh hard drive.

As a technician, I would say price + $75 would be a great deal, and price + $150 for labor would be a fair deal. Anything beyond that for such a simple operation I would find someone cheaper. And if you have access to a university or corporate IT department, or even a Windows technician you know and trust, they can easily follow the iFixit guide to do it themselves even if they don't know Macs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.