Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New external drive for Time Machine won't complete a backup using Airport Extreme

I recently upgraded to a larger external drive (Seagate's Backup Plus for Mac 8T (STEM8000400) for my Airport Extreme Base Station (MC414LL/A) . It's been a few weeks now and there hasn't been one successful backup completed via Airport and the little that it does back-up is painfully slow.

• Time Machine will back-up for several minutes, then just stop.
  • I've tried turning off Energy Saver overnight, still no luck
  • Seagate drive is formatted to Mac Journaled
  • I've trashed the existing back-up file, reformatted the drive, etc.
  • My previous drive, a G-drive, worked perfectly with Airport Extreme
  • To test the drive, I connected the Seagate drive directly to the computer (vs. Airport Extreme) and was able to get a full back-up, but I don't want the drive on my desk.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 10:43 AM

• I recently upgraded to a larger external drive (Seagate's Backup Plus for Mac 8T (STEM8000400) for my Airport Extreme Base Station (MC414LL/A) .

The MC414LL/A is a 2nd generation 802.11n AirPort Express base station, not an AirPort Extreme. If you are connecting the Seagate to the base station's USB port, then this won't work either as the Express does not support USB drives on that port.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 10:43 AM in response to sharpeiboy

• I recently upgraded to a larger external drive (Seagate's Backup Plus for Mac 8T (STEM8000400) for my Airport Extreme Base Station (MC414LL/A) .

The MC414LL/A is a 2nd generation 802.11n AirPort Express base station, not an AirPort Extreme. If you are connecting the Seagate to the base station's USB port, then this won't work either as the Express does not support USB drives on that port.

New external drive for Time Machine won't complete a backup using Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.