Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the mail app opens unexpectedly while using other apps, for example the preview app

On new iMac 27" with Mojave 10.14.5 Why does the mail app open unexpectedly while using other apps, for example the preview app? This has happened a few times now. I know that a little window opens in the top right corner of the screen when new mail, message, or calendar event arrives and I don't mind that but it is annoying when the mail app opens on top of the app I am using. Can change a setting to control that?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:11 PM

10 replies

Jun 12, 2019 12:51 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, I thought that the first time it happened. I am very aware of the possibility, however I was confident that I had not done that. With the 2nd occurrence I was sure that was not the case. The most recent occurrence I was viewing a photo and did not even have a hand on or near the keyboard or trackpad.

Thank you for your reply.

Jun 12, 2019 5:02 PM in response to Old Toad

I appreciate the response. So far I am not certain that my iMac rebooted into safe mode. I followed your instructions a three times but don't believe it ever reached safe mode (because there was no delay in the starting process as described). I did open and close Preview several times. I am now in normal start up and will report back regarding the issue. It may be a day or two.

Thanks for your reply

Why does the mail app opens unexpectedly while using other apps, for example the preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.