Question: second display and high Sierra - split second delays
My Mac was working perfectly fine but since connecting a second display through a thunderbolt (display port) to DVI adapter the Mac almost immediately began to experience intermittent (half second) delays. The delays manifest as a spinning beachball. It will appear as I click on menu items or typing gets buffered and then outputs to the screen as the buffer is released. Photoshop is no longer a smooth experience with some tools (like brushes) stalling until I click somewhere on the art work.
High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (17G7024)
Eizo display (DVI) - model EV2316W - it has D-Sub that I can try but haven't yet.
Not in order, I did the following
- I ran Disk Utility
- All maintenance operation in Onyx (exceptions were made to Spotlight Index, Mail's mailboxes, Disk position on the desktop),
- Removed all my user account Preferences files ~/Library/Preferences out so that new plist files were forced to spawn in default configs
- started in safe mode
- even reset PRAM, SMC
- reinstalled Mac OS (not an erase and install) in recovery mode
- Manually removed all ~/Library/Cache files
- New user account created and logged into but the issue is reproducible.
Is there an update that I am missing? Some software that can fix this or could it be the DisplayPort dongle? I need a solid solution or I simply can't use the display, the lags have an unacceptable performance hit. If I need to buy the Apple DisplayPort to DVI dongle I will do it if it solves the problem.
I've used this dongle on my MacBook Air to a Sharp 1080 TV (via DVI) and there was no such issue. I only mention this to demonstrate that the dongle works.
For those of you who might be expert enough, I have included a Google Drive link to the EtreCheck report in the hopes you see something that I was not able to.
Kind regards and thank you for considering the issue and any steps that I might be able to take.
EDIT: It appears the link tool in the toolbar doesn't work so here is the link for the report. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1waOXjuER15-ZtIrc4-3lMvuYgng_mQJC/view?usp=sharing
iMac 27", macOS 10.13