Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine shares

In this previous question (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8497826?answerId=33748896022#33748896022) the supplied answers didn't address the main aspect of the question - can a single Time Machine backup share be used as the target for multiple macs (therefore making efficient use of the available space and management), or does each mac setting up Time Machine backups need to target a unique shared storage folder or device? I suspect it's the latter, but that would require that I manage space and expansion for multiple shares - which I'd rather avoid if the TM storage structures can keep file backups from the different macs straight within the same share. I'll be backing up from two Mac Pros, a Macbook Pro, and a Mac Mini - and targeting a Drobo 5n2 NAS.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 4:18 PM

Excellent - good to know that both layouts are supported by TM. (and I know you meant TB's in the 2nd instance). I further imagine that part of the consideration has to be whether having a single space threshold for the combination of machine backups is preferable, or having separate shares that will have independent thresholds. Many thanks... :)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 4:18 PM in response to Kappy

Excellent - good to know that both layouts are supported by TM. (and I know you meant TB's in the 2nd instance). I further imagine that part of the consideration has to be whether having a single space threshold for the combination of machine backups is preferable, or having separate shares that will have independent thresholds. Many thanks... :)

Jun 12, 2019 2:04 PM in response to GKevinK

A single drive can be used to backup multiple machines provided the drive has adequate space. A Time Machine backup drive should be at least two-three times the capacity of the source. For example, if you have three machines, each with a 500GB drive, then the Time Machine backup drive should be at least 3-4.5GBs capacity.

Time Machine will make separate backup folders for each machine's backup or you can make a separate partition for each machine.

Time Machine shares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.