Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the "scanner sharing" option in OS X El Capitain?

The scanner sharing option in System Preferences is disappeared.

I can share my printer just fine with Bonjour, but there is no option to add the scanner.

The printer and scanner are connected to a Mac Snow Leopard in another room.

I need to be able to use the scanner from the El Capitain computer, but there are no "Scanner Sharing" options.

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 4:13 AM

12 replies

Jun 13, 2019 4:34 AM in response to sedaray

Just to confirm, you have a printer+scanner multi-function device plugged into a Mac (via USB cable) which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 that had been working fine until now, but now your 2nd Mac in another room (which is running El Capitan) is not able to add it. Is that exactly right?

The "Scanner Sharing" check box was never part of El Capitan. But you don't need that box for El Capitan to merely use a shared scanner. The "sharing" service is being by done by the Snow Leopard Mac. I assume that option is checked on though and your Snow Leopard machine is actually sharing the scanner?

It would help to have a screen shot of your Snow Leopard machine's Sharing Preferences window with the "Scanner Sharing" option selected (highlighted) so the details are available on the rest of the window if the following doesn't work. Also if it's not clear from the screen shot, what is the manufacturer and model number of your Snow Leopards multi-function printer device?

Reset your El Capitan's Mac printing system and try to see if the scanner can be detected and added at that point:

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2019 9:36 AM in response to rcosta887

**curses**

I couldn't upload an image - and lost my detailed reply.

So: reset didn't work.

I have an epson Perfection 1650 scanner plugged into a Mac (via USB cable) which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 that is working fine, but now your 2nd Mac in another room (which is running El Capitan) is not able to add it.

The "Scanner Sharing" check box is checked on Snow.

The printer shares just fine.

I even switched machines, but Snow sees it as a printer no matter what I tell it, even specifying the epson scan driver.

Image Capture doesn't see the device in either direction.

oh well.

I've now got a really long usb cable and I guess I'll just have to plug it in when i need it.

Jun 13, 2019 5:38 PM in response to rcosta887

Scanner sharing never worked for me.

Both computers see the shared scanner as a printer, no matter what settings I use in the sharing dialogue.

The Scanner works fine ON THE COMPUTER IT'S PUGGED INTO.

The printer shares fine.

Here's the SnowLeopard settings:

1) It's listed under scanners with "share this" clicked - El Cap doesn't see this at all - this is used when scanner is plugged into SnowL

2) left window what I get when I attempt to add the scanner when it's plugged into ElCap - there is no scan protocol, and I've tried IP addresses of the router and computer and alias for the ElCap computer in the Address box.

I've also tried all these addresses in the Location box, but every try the computer sees the remote scanner as a printer and won't work.

Jun 17, 2019 7:29 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks but that's the software from the Epson that uninstalled the Epson Scan driver - both links on this page go to the same driver.

It is for Image Scan on the local computer only, not for share.

Both my computers will run the scanner when it's plugged in directly.

Is there anyone who has actually successfully shared an El Capitain or Snow Leopard scanner in either direction?

Where is the "scanner sharing" option in OS X El Capitain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.