Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini late 2012 Fan running fast and loud?

I just recently shut down and unplugged my mac mini ti move it to a different room. It wasn't dropped as I carried it to the next room. upon hooking all my devices up and powering my mac mini, the fan is running non stop all of a sudden. It's not a loud fan noise its similar to a small usb pc speaker sound. I do use my mac mini a lot for editing film and music so I am thinking maybe it came up for cooling? But this is not normal for me and I hope this doesn't slow anything down.

What steps should i take?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 7:46 PM

Could be dust inside the case preventing parts from cooling

Could be your Mac mini is actually trying to do a lot of work, which causing the CPU, RAM, Disk, etc... to draw more power, which needs to be cooled.

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor might help identify if you have a run-away-process.

You could post an EtreCheck report that will help the volunteers see what is happening inside your system. There is "NO" personal information in the report. You can search the forums and find 1,000's of example EtreCheck reports.

Please post the EtreCheck output as a "Reply" to this thread

<https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?ls=1&mt=12>

Click on the Share icon and select "Copy Report"

And then Paste the report as a "Reply" to this thread using an "Additional Text" box.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2019 7:46 PM in response to D-Harm

Could be dust inside the case preventing parts from cooling

Could be your Mac mini is actually trying to do a lot of work, which causing the CPU, RAM, Disk, etc... to draw more power, which needs to be cooled.

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor might help identify if you have a run-away-process.

You could post an EtreCheck report that will help the volunteers see what is happening inside your system. There is "NO" personal information in the report. You can search the forums and find 1,000's of example EtreCheck reports.

Please post the EtreCheck output as a "Reply" to this thread

<https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?ls=1&mt=12>

Click on the Share icon and select "Copy Report"

And then Paste the report as a "Reply" to this thread using an "Additional Text" box.

Mac mini late 2012 Fan running fast and loud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.