You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13", 2017, A1708 – SSD replacement

I want to upgrade MacBook Pro 13", 2017, A1708, two thunderbolts 3 ports (function key) SSD from 256Gb to 512 Gb

I read that this version Mac SSD is replaceable unlike a Mac with touch bar

Where I can buy a 512 SSD? Could you help me with that, please? I don't know where to find a trusted seller. I only found a couple of but there no 512 Gb in stock. It doesn't matter if they don't provide international shipping - I can ship it with a Logistic company

I don't quite sure about eBay, because the risk to buy a cheap replica for a high price or a used and broken SSD is hight

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 9:40 PM

1 reply

Jun 13, 2019 10:00 PM in response to Savraska

Although these are removable, they are custom by Apple and no 3rd-party replacements exist. Previously when Apple made changes like this it took a good year for 3rd-parties to release their own. That may or may not change in the future, but at least it means Apple can upgrade them so that's at least something. But these are REALLY proprietary.

Here is a source for used ones, but that's literally the only source at this time. Macsales.com / OWC for example does not even have these. Because they are used the site linked below only even has 128gb and 256gb ones in stock. The 512gb and 1TB are not in stock.

Basically these drives at this time these are limited to system-pulls from otherwise broken 2016 & 2017 non-touchbar MacBook Pros:

https://beetstech.com/product/solid-state-drive-a1708

MacBook Pro 13", 2017, A1708 – SSD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.