Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Upgrade in MacBook Air early 2015

Hi,

I want to upgrade the internal ssd in MBA early 2015 to a larger capacity(500gb). On searching I found the latest ones are not compatible and require additional adapter to make it work. The SSD i found was Samsung 860 EVO Series - 500GB M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive. I am from India, so some SSD brands may not be available here.

Can anyone confirm which SSD is compatible(a direct swap without any adaptors). I am new to it and currently unsure if I should consider SSD compatible with SATA or NVMExpress.

The details of my machine are

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 11:02 AM

I know some people on these forums have used a Sintech adapter to use a standard M.2 SSD, but I believe you have to be careful which one you get. I do know that some Samsung SSDs are not compatible with a Mac, but I don't know which ones. You will need to do more thorough research before choosing this option.

The only option for an internal third party SSD without the use of an adapter is the OWC Aura SSDs which @John mentions. You do have to be careful as one of the Aura SSDs requires OSX 10.13+ High Sierra to be used or the SSD won't be recognized. Those are also the only third party SSDs with any official support behind them when used with a Mac.

I would advise you to keep your old SSD. Last year people using third party SSDs (including OWC) were unable to upgrade macOS due to firmware issues and the only fix at the time was to install HS or Mojave to an original Apple SSD first so the system firmware was updated. OWC sells an external enclosure for the original Apple SSD you remove from your laptop.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2019 11:02 AM in response to PunitM

I know some people on these forums have used a Sintech adapter to use a standard M.2 SSD, but I believe you have to be careful which one you get. I do know that some Samsung SSDs are not compatible with a Mac, but I don't know which ones. You will need to do more thorough research before choosing this option.

The only option for an internal third party SSD without the use of an adapter is the OWC Aura SSDs which @John mentions. You do have to be careful as one of the Aura SSDs requires OSX 10.13+ High Sierra to be used or the SSD won't be recognized. Those are also the only third party SSDs with any official support behind them when used with a Mac.

I would advise you to keep your old SSD. Last year people using third party SSDs (including OWC) were unable to upgrade macOS due to firmware issues and the only fix at the time was to install HS or Mojave to an original Apple SSD first so the system firmware was updated. OWC sells an external enclosure for the original Apple SSD you remove from your laptop.

SSD Upgrade in MacBook Air early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.