Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver not working after logout/login

Hi.

I've been searching extensively, but without success. All I find is people trying to find solution to problems similar but not like mine.

I recently started logging out instead of shutting down my mac pro at the end of the day. Works fine, except for one thing; after I log in, screensaver won't work. All that happens at scheduled time is the screen dims a little. Hot corners don't work either. After a restart, back to normal. After logout/login, no screensaver.

I tried changing screensaver settings, did a SMC reset, restarted powerd process, only thing that works is a restart. Then, logout/login breaks screensaver.

Mac Pro 3.1, Sierra 10.12.5.

Any thoughts?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 10:59 AM

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Ben Jenssen

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jun 19, 2019 7:53 AM in response to Ben Jenssen

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode if you haven't already done that. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 16, 2019 11:31 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks.

I saw this advice before in my searches, and thought; nah, probably not, why would this plist file cause screensaver to function after a restart but not after a logout/login?

Anyway, I just tried it, trashed the plist file (last modified a couple of years ago, by the way), restarted - screensaver worked fine, logged out and back in - and it worked! Not even a change in settings, which I sorta expected.

Thanks, Eric.

Jun 19, 2019 4:17 AM in response to Eric Root

I spoke too soon. The next day, after normal activity and logout/login the screensaver does not work. After a restart, it's back.

It seems that it's caused by a combination of something I do or a process that is run, and a logout/login that causes the problem. A restart and immediate logout/login does not.

I tried among other things to: restart; screensaver works, start apps one by one; still works, logout/login; problem is back. Also tried to quit all applications before the logout/login; no fix.

I should also say that all the time the screensaver control panel works fine, preview and everything.

I also tried restart, running all the usual and unusual apps, videos running and music playing, pointer in hotcorner; screensaver works. After logout/login, no worky.

Quite a mystery.

I'm going to try a safe boot. I expect that to fix it, but tracking down the culprit is going to take forever...

3'rd party screensaver perhaps?

Is there such a thing?

Jun 22, 2019 3:09 AM in response to Ben Jenssen

I have not found the case of the problem, but at least I've narrowed it down. The problem only occurs when I'm logged off for longer periods of time, i.e overnight. And when I then login and the screensaver does not work, I can just logout/login and it works again, no restart necessary. The problem does not occurr when I log out/in for 1 minute or ten. Log out for several hours, it happens every time. I can live with it.

Screensaver not working after logout/login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.