Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung PNA650 mode not supported when trying to hook up apple TV

Trying to hook up a 4th gen Apple TV to an old Samsung PNA650. I can get through the set up phase, but at that point the screen goes black and then the message comes up, "mode not supported". I tried to shift the resolution on the Apple TV, to no avail. I've unplugged the HDMI from both ends and reinserted, nothing. I've switched HDMI cords. I've confirmed the Apple TV works on other TV's. No dice.

Any advice? Or is it just not capable of working on a TV of this age?

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 2:53 PM

Or is it just not capable of working on a TV of this age?

Any HD TV with functional HDMI for progressive scan sources should be supported.

There may be things in the video signal that your TV may not find acceptable. E.g. --

• overscan
  • resolution
  • signal formatting

Normally the HDMI Sync handshake makes sure that both devices agree on the signal. Especially during the setup phase.

If that glitches, then try setting up to video specs that match this TV (1080p/60 Hz/zero overscan), while connected to another TV.

I think that model TV has 4 HDMI ports. Did you try using another port?

You may need HDMI 1.3 or better cables (rated 10 Gbps or better), both for HDMI-CEC compatibility and picture quality.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 2:53 PM in response to RC_Yangon

Or is it just not capable of working on a TV of this age?

Any HD TV with functional HDMI for progressive scan sources should be supported.

There may be things in the video signal that your TV may not find acceptable. E.g. --

• overscan
  • resolution
  • signal formatting

Normally the HDMI Sync handshake makes sure that both devices agree on the signal. Especially during the setup phase.

If that glitches, then try setting up to video specs that match this TV (1080p/60 Hz/zero overscan), while connected to another TV.

I think that model TV has 4 HDMI ports. Did you try using another port?

You may need HDMI 1.3 or better cables (rated 10 Gbps or better), both for HDMI-CEC compatibility and picture quality.

Jun 16, 2019 4:08 PM in response to RC_Yangon

If you have access to a Windows laptop you can run the firmware updater for your A650:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2008-plasma-tv-a650-series

There should also be some video settings on your Samsung television itself that you can access via the buttons or on the remote. Here are some settings you can change, the only issue is that sometimes they are labelled differently on Samsungs. Look for whatever menu has any of the of the following and try changing them on/off:

• overscan
  • screen fit
  • picture size
  • game mode
  • BD wise

One or more of these settings should be under some kind of "Picture Settings" menu.

Samsung PNA650 mode not supported when trying to hook up apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.