Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ebook reader 5.1.1 gen 1 iPad

Okay, let me start by voicing my situation. First, I have a multitude of ebooks that I've had for years, sitting on my PC. Recently, I picked up an iPad Gen 1, 32GB for $10 used, (Which is the only reason I bought an apple product,), and I have loaded my ebooks onto the device via itunes, (They are in epub format, and are on the device, as indicated through itunes. ) Come to find out, There is ZERO app support for even the slightest rudimentary functions of this device, ibooks is no longer available, and there are no apple apps that allow me to access any of my media, much less my books. I have to say, after three days of digging through forums to find a working ebook reader, that actually boots up and functions, let alone accesses my local files, I have had no luck. Frankly, I am very near using this hunk of junk for target practice and never buying an apple product again. I have tried the itunes app store, workaround from my PC, I have tried countless apps, and few of them that have opened, and none have allowed me to access my local epub files... I'm at the point now, where this is my last option, I'm asking for help, because frankly, no matter the amount of googling I do, I cannot find a working app that will do what I need, which is only to function and allow me to read my epub books.. Apple really needs to pay attention to customers with older devices and at least release a line of basic apps for the older devices, even if they get em working and just leave them alone after that.. Having an old device should be an option. Legacy apps, released by apple, should be a non-issue. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Because at this point, again, this iPad is a complete useless paper-weight to me, and I can not stomach the idea of selling this to someone, knowing they will have the same issues I did.

Before you post, I do not want a lecture about how old the device is, I don't need to hear about how I should upgrade, I have no desire to pay for another device that will go obsolete in less than 10 years, and no longer be usable. Which is Exactly why I don't buy Apple products in the first place. It is a functioning iPad by hardware standards, it works just fine. It should still have even the slightest amount of support, yet it does not, hence my frustration. So, that said, please, keep arrogant, and unhelpful answers to yourself. To those that do have something helpful to add, Thank you, so much, in advance.

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 12:29 PM

I hate to inform you that you are wrong, Sir. The only reason I am bothering to respond, is because I did, in fact, find a solution. It does require a PC. You may be able to do this with a Mac, However, I do not own one, therefore, I do not have a guide on it. But here's how I did it on PC.

First and foremost, I had to use the iTunes workaround for the legacy apps. For the Ereader, I used BlueFire There are a million tutorials on how to do this, look it up, it'll help you.

Second Step, I installed a program called, iFunbox.

Third Step, I connected my iPad to my PC via USB sync cable.

Fourth, after about an hour of poking around, I managed to go to "Manage App Data," at the top of iFunbox, which is where I found my Bluefire icon. Left Click the Bluefire icon, then select "Open Sandbox." This will open another window showing a selection of files and folders for the app. From here you want to select, "Documents." This will navigate you into the folder, where the default books are stored.

Fifth, from this window, look to the top of the "Sandbox" window, and select, Copy from PC. This will open up an "Open" window, and from here you navigate to your ebooks, select which ones you want to transfer onto the ipad, and select "Open." This will transfer your books to the ipad, in a way that bypasses the internal routing of the program, and the hangup of just about any ereader that I've gotten to work.

Sixth, pick up your ipad, open Bluefire, and go to library. Happy reading.

Thanks for all who looked and considered my question. I'm breathing a sigh of relief now, hopefully this will help someone else who's struggling with this issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2019 12:29 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I hate to inform you that you are wrong, Sir. The only reason I am bothering to respond, is because I did, in fact, find a solution. It does require a PC. You may be able to do this with a Mac, However, I do not own one, therefore, I do not have a guide on it. But here's how I did it on PC.

First and foremost, I had to use the iTunes workaround for the legacy apps. For the Ereader, I used BlueFire There are a million tutorials on how to do this, look it up, it'll help you.

Second Step, I installed a program called, iFunbox.

Third Step, I connected my iPad to my PC via USB sync cable.

Fourth, after about an hour of poking around, I managed to go to "Manage App Data," at the top of iFunbox, which is where I found my Bluefire icon. Left Click the Bluefire icon, then select "Open Sandbox." This will open another window showing a selection of files and folders for the app. From here you want to select, "Documents." This will navigate you into the folder, where the default books are stored.

Fifth, from this window, look to the top of the "Sandbox" window, and select, Copy from PC. This will open up an "Open" window, and from here you navigate to your ebooks, select which ones you want to transfer onto the ipad, and select "Open." This will transfer your books to the ipad, in a way that bypasses the internal routing of the program, and the hangup of just about any ereader that I've gotten to work.

Sixth, pick up your ipad, open Bluefire, and go to library. Happy reading.

Thanks for all who looked and considered my question. I'm breathing a sigh of relief now, hopefully this will help someone else who's struggling with this issue.

Ebook reader 5.1.1 gen 1 iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.