You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not locate the OS X boot volume - BootCamp

I have a Mac and after BootCamp with Windows 10 I am unable to "Restart in OS X..." I use a Wireless Keyboard so I am unable to use the Option Key to Select Boot Volume manually. I am in not position to purchase another piece of hardware keyboard just because Apple's software is erroneous and buggy. Please help, it's probably a Partition or Volume that's gone out of whack and simply requires a bit of tweaking.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 10:17 PM

13 replies

Jun 24, 2019 4:43 AM in response to StableBoy

StableBoy wrote:

Alright someone at an apple store reset the laptop and it appears that the new bootcamp has it's own features.

Can you explain the exact steps of the 'reset'? Was macOS re-installed? What is the current version of macOS?

Not.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/4a119336-37ba-4190-b097-6793fcb3429e

The simpler solution to this error is to re-install BC drivers. See If some Mac features don't work when running Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference.

If you have a 2018 or later model (with Apple T2), there are a few more complications...

Jun 18, 2019 3:35 AM in response to StableBoy

StableBoy wrote:

I have a Mac and after BootCamp with Windows 10 I am unable to "Restart in OS X..." I use a Wireless Keyboard so I am unable to use the Option Key to Select Boot Volume manually.

Alt/Option should work with a Wireless Keyboard as well.

I am in not position to purchase another piece of hardware keyboard just because Apple's software is erroneous and buggy. Please help, it's probably a Partition or Volume that's gone out of whack and simply requires a bit of tweaking.

On older Macs, where AppleControlPanel.exe does not support APFS, but you have upgraded to Mojave, Alt/Option is the supported method as documented in Switch between Windows and macOS with Boot Camp - Apple Support.

You can also set macOS as the default OS as noted in Start up your Mac in Windows or macOS using Boot Camp - Apple Support, but this will make your Mac boot in macOS every time you reboot.

Jun 18, 2019 4:45 PM in response to StableBoy

StableBoy wrote:

This idiotic assumption of the keyboard being available is just impeccable, the keyboard is Bluetooth and does not start functioning until an Operating System is loaded with Bluetooth enabled and functioning.

I have an Apple BT keyboard and use it everyday to switch between macOS and Windows, using Alt/Option on a 2014 iMac running W10 and macOS. There is a BT driver which is loaded by the firmware. This is how Recovery is supported. See Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support for reference.

I don't have a wired USB keyboard and the Bluetooth keyboard is all I have. I do have an old PS2 keyboard however the iMac does not have any PS2 ports, I am not willing to spend money on purchasing a dongle that converts PS2 to USB and or begging someone to lend me their Wired keyboard just so I can boot into the ridiculous OS X. So unless there is a solution to repair the Disk Partitioning structures making them available/visible to the Bootcamp Control Panel for me to Select the OS X to be booted from please hold off all stupendous suggestions please, thank you.

You first need to state your environment properly. If you cannot articulate, it is your limitation, not the readers'.

Jun 24, 2019 4:45 PM in response to StableBoy

See Use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support for reference.

Have you tried to boot the 2015 13-in MBP in Internet Recovery - About macOS Recovery - Apple Support ? If the Mac boots properly in Recovery, you may not need Target Disk Mode. If you can boot in Recovery, post the output of

diskutil list

See Posting Text Output in macOS Recovery Con… - Apple Community for reference.

Jun 17, 2019 11:55 PM in response to StableBoy

I hope it is only a minor issue, but I am worried that it is not.

To hold down "option" on a Windows PC keyboard it is the Alt key.

FYI, on a related note, if you ever need to hold down "command" (⌘) that is the Windows logo key on a PC keyboard.

See if holding down "option" (Alt) works to get you back into macOS. If that doesn't work you can also launch the Boot Camp shortcut in Windows, or the Boot Camp system tray icon next to the clock in Windows to select to restart automatically in macOS during the next reboot:

If these work for you, then great! (I was worried for nothing) But if you still cannot get into macOS I am worried that when you installed Windows in the beginning disk portion of the Windows actual install you may have overwritten a partition. Please let me know either way.

Jun 18, 2019 1:59 AM in response to StableBoy

I had this issue myself. The only way to Geta round this is to boot into Mac OS X recovery. Then selected the partition where Mac OS X is installed from the startup system preferences. then click the restart button. You might get a spinning beachball, but wait this is Mac OS X checking the system start up disk to see if it can boot. but just be patient.

After that the Mac will boot into the Mac OS X partition. If you need to restart into windows again hold the option key when the screen lights up.

Hope that helps.

Jun 18, 2019 2:11 PM in response to Loner T

This idiotic assumption of the keyboard being available is just impeccable, the keyboard is Bluetooth and does not start functioning until an Operating System is loaded with Bluetooth enabled and functioning. I don't have a wired USB keyboard and the Bluetooth keyboard is all I have. I do have an old PS2 keyboard however the iMac does not have any PS2 ports, I am not willing to spend money on purchasing a dongle that converts PS2 to USB and or begging someone to lend me their Wired keyboard just so I can boot into the ridiculous OS X. So unless there is a solution to repair the Disk Partitioning structures making them available/visible to the Bootcamp Control Panel for me to Select the OS X to be booted from please hold off all stupendous suggestions please, thank you.

Jun 24, 2019 4:03 PM in response to Loner T

I asked the apple store staff members however they appear to be very secretive about their steps of the reset and refuse to reveal any details. I've lost data, now I'm stuck with this new problem. I had bought a used MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch Late 2015 model simply to overcome the problems of switching between Operating Systems but now it has become a bigger problem and I'm shot a thousand dollars. Great. Any of you used a MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina Late 2015 in Target Disk Mode, if so what Cable can I use to connect to my HP laptop with standard USB ports. Is there a Thunderbolt to USB Male cable, a link would be very helpful.

Could not locate the OS X boot volume - BootCamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.