Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need antivirus software

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a new MacBook and wonder whether its worth buying antivirus software. I have researched but cant find a definitive answer.

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 12:11 PM

Anti-virus on a mac typically interferes with Mac own built in GateKeeper:

Gatekeeper mechanism, central to security services, which tries to ensure that any code loaded is ‘safe’. Code signatures are only part of this.

XProtect checks the security and integrity of files, including in broader ways too, vulnerable document types, such as JPEG images, are also screened to ensure that they’re not malicious.

Apple’s Malware Removal Tool (MRT) an app which often complements XProtect’s signature-based screening, and can automatically remove all traces of many different species of malware.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) which ensures that nothing can tamper with key system files, or even Apple’s bundled apps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2019 12:11 PM in response to Grantfig40

Anti-virus on a mac typically interferes with Mac own built in GateKeeper:

Gatekeeper mechanism, central to security services, which tries to ensure that any code loaded is ‘safe’. Code signatures are only part of this.

XProtect checks the security and integrity of files, including in broader ways too, vulnerable document types, such as JPEG images, are also screened to ensure that they’re not malicious.

Apple’s Malware Removal Tool (MRT) an app which often complements XProtect’s signature-based screening, and can automatically remove all traces of many different species of malware.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) which ensures that nothing can tamper with key system files, or even Apple’s bundled apps.

do i need antivirus software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.