Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone xs max ios 12.3.1 wont restore off an iphone 8 plus ios 12.3.2 file

I just bought an iPhone xs max and that came with ios 12.1 and tried to restore off a back up file from my old iPhone 8 plus that had recently auto installed ios 12.3.2. After updating the new iPhone xs max, I found that it only updated to ios 12.3.1 because the 12.3.2 update is only for iPhone 8's. apple customer service says that I have to wait till they release an update for the new iPhone but in the mean time I cant load my information. basically an empty iPhone.

I feel like the fix for iPhone 8's made another problem for newer iPhones.

is any one having the same issues? is there another fix?

any help will be appreciated.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 8:22 PM

You have to wait for a newer iOS updates to be able to restore from your iOS 12.3.2 backup.

FYI: You can only restore from a iOS backup if your iOS device version is equal or has a higher then the backup iOS version.

109 replies

Jul 22, 2019 7:00 AM in response to Mvicente13

The iTunes procedure includes everything in your iTunes backup, as described in this link-->About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

However, anything that you sync to iCloud (you can check by going to Settings/<your name>/iCloud and see which switches are turned on) is not included in the backup. Instead, those items (which can include photos) will automatically sync to your new phone as soon as you turn on iCloud on the phone.

Jun 18, 2019 8:39 PM in response to lopezjosue

iOS 12.3.2 is only for the iPhone 8 Plus and not for any other iPhone models.

There are not many who upgrade from an iPhone 8 Plus to an iPhone XS Max. You got caught in-between.

You have to wait till iOS 12.4 or even iOS 13 in the Fall.

if you use the same Apple ID as your iPhone 8 Plus and you have in Settings > [your name ] > iCloud > Contacts, Calendars, and all the rest ....

You should have all the stuff auto sync to your new iPhone.

You can also re-download all your apps from your purchased list.

Jun 23, 2019 12:47 AM in response to lopezjosue

I just brought new iPhone XS Max. Now m going to restore from my backup of old iPhone 8 Plus but backup not being restored. iPhone XS Max running on 12.3.1 which right now updated from Apple software server but when m going to restore I just received warning message that “you must update the iPhone to the latest version of iOS before it can be restored from this backup”. I thing iPhone 8 Plus is latest phone than iPhone XS Max. 

Jun 25, 2019 8:38 AM in response to lopezjosue

Apple had to have known that this issue would have arisen. That being the case, what was more important, the 3D effect lost by the bug or the loss of trust in Apple by the thousands of people who owned the 8 plus that spent a lot of money to upgrade only to find out that they cannot restore their data. Could they not have found a way to include all other phones in 12.3.2?!?!

There are some possible solutions on this thread that I will try, but I am very technical and most people will not try these fixes. I wish I would have known this issue existed before I purchased the new phone!

Jun 26, 2019 9:24 PM in response to lopezjosue

Well, this may have been a bad idea but it seemed easier than the work around. I downloaded the beta testing of the newest ios on my new Xs max and then erased content and settings and then voila! It let me download my latest update from the cloud from my iphone 8 without all of the rigamarole. Still a pain and can't even begin to explain how annoyed I am by the whole thing. But if this did not work I was going to return the phone tomorrow and just wait it out with my glitchy iphone 8. Especially since I tried to back up my old phone to itunes on my macbook pro (per the work around) only to be told by my computer there isn't enough memory available to complete that task.....Because owning a macbook means you are dependent on an external hard drive with only 8 gig of working memory and apparently dependent on company that is struggling to meet their promises. At least thats what I have had to deal with. Come on Apple! Please get it together. For the price of $1200 for a phone it should be able to read my mind and reboot from my memory. ;)

IPhone xs max ios 12.3.1 wont restore off an iphone 8 plus ios 12.3.2 file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.