Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create partition on External Drive

I want to partition my new Samsung USB-c SSD. I have erased and reformatted the drive as Mac OS extended journal but the partition option remains greyed out. I'm running Mojave on a MacBook Air, has anyone got any advice please.

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 1:17 AM

If you erased the drive with Disk Utility, then the drive is ready to be used as it would have created a single partition for use. If you want to add more partitions, then you need to click the "View" drop down list just above the left pane in Disk Utility and select "Show all devices". Then select the physical drive in the left pane. See if it allows you to create another partition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 1:17 AM in response to jamjudyjam

If you erased the drive with Disk Utility, then the drive is ready to be used as it would have created a single partition for use. If you want to add more partitions, then you need to click the "View" drop down list just above the left pane in Disk Utility and select "Show all devices". Then select the physical drive in the left pane. See if it allows you to create another partition.

Can't create partition on External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.