Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixing a stuck home button on an iPad air

This problem seems to have gone quiet on the community but it the problem has not gone away. iPads are prone to this issue but no one has come up with a reasonable method of fixing it.

the most practical method I’ve seen is to massage the button using isopropyl alcohol (known in North America as rubbing alcohol). The theory being that the alcohol will clean the unit of finger grease etc. I can’t help thinking this might “fry” the electronics! Am I right?

the problem would of course been avoided if the design had been better....

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 12:22 PM

Thanks for that.

looking closely at the offending button it appears to be slightly depressed (permanently) and has no “click” to it when pressed. I suspect the mechanism under it has failed and I doubt if it anything to do with dirt or grease. This unit was bought as one of a pair four years back. The other “twin” has no sign off failure despite having been used as much. This is probably the planned obsolescence factor that has kicked in early.

i had heard that Apple don’t fix these machines but simply replace at huge cost.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2019 12:22 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for that.

looking closely at the offending button it appears to be slightly depressed (permanently) and has no “click” to it when pressed. I suspect the mechanism under it has failed and I doubt if it anything to do with dirt or grease. This unit was bought as one of a pair four years back. The other “twin” has no sign off failure despite having been used as much. This is probably the planned obsolescence factor that has kicked in early.

i had heard that Apple don’t fix these machines but simply replace at huge cost.

Jun 23, 2019 2:18 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I contacted my local Apple store yesterday.

1. the use of isopropyl alcohol to ease a “stuck” button is recommended by Apple. It evaporates very quickly leaving a very clean button and does not compromise the unit. Just turn it off before you do it!
  2. from a description of the problem it is more likely that the small spring under the button is broken or distorted as the button is permanently depressed. Sounds like a design issue.
  3. the only option for this device is replacement at full price. Which for me is NOT an option. I shall be looking at a more reasonably priced alternative. Not an Apple.

Fixing a stuck home button on an iPad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.