Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging apple watch in ireland

i have a U.S. apple series 3 watch that i’m trying to use on a trip to ireland. i purchased the apple travel adapter, which works fine for my ipad and iphone, but not for the watch. i realize that the adapter doesn’t specify that it works for the watch, but on another support page (https://support.apple.com/en-me/HT202105), apple says that the 12 v charger will work for the watch, and since that is what they specify for use with the travel adapter, i thought i would be fine, so i didn’t bring my apple watch charger. can i safely charge just through a usb? or is there an inexpensive solution? i’d appreciate your ideas. thank you.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 5:53 PM

Any Apple power adapter with a USB output port will be fine for your watch, and all Apple adapters will accept any supply voltage 100-240v AC so with the travel set (duck heads) to fit different wall sockets you have everything you need.

However, they are all 5v output from the USB port (not 12v) so look closer at the label and just check what you have. I think it might be 12W (that’s the Watts power rating not the voltage which is much smaller writing). The 12W adapter is perfect for your iPhone iPad and watch. That’s the adapter I use when I travel with the same set of devices so I know it works.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2019 5:53 PM in response to rahtwo

Any Apple power adapter with a USB output port will be fine for your watch, and all Apple adapters will accept any supply voltage 100-240v AC so with the travel set (duck heads) to fit different wall sockets you have everything you need.

However, they are all 5v output from the USB port (not 12v) so look closer at the label and just check what you have. I think it might be 12W (that’s the Watts power rating not the voltage which is much smaller writing). The 12W adapter is perfect for your iPhone iPad and watch. That’s the adapter I use when I travel with the same set of devices so I know it works.

Jun 20, 2019 5:59 PM in response to rahtwo

Adding: The adapters that don’t work for the Watch charging cable are the new 18W and higher power USB-C outputs. Basically, if the watch magnetic cable will connect it is compatible. You should also be able to use any other USB adapter, or if you are lucky in a hotel room you might find the wall sockets also have a built in USB port for charging. That can be useful if you only have a single charger and you need to boost more than one device in a hurry.

Jun 20, 2019 6:17 PM in response to rahtwo

That’s ominous. I would suspect possibly a damaged magnetic cable if two adapters won’t charge the watch. If you get to 3 failures get a new cable. Fortunately you can test the adapters easily, just switch to the lightning cable and try your iPhone which has a much higher power demand than the watch. You could even try the watch cable on a computer USB port, Apple Watch has a really low current demand and will charge from any USB source.

Jun 20, 2019 6:30 PM in response to Branta_uk

i think, for some reason, that world travel adapter isn’t meant to charge the watch, or the 12w isn’t meant to. the charger i have at home for the watch looks different from all my ipad and iphone chargers, but i’ve never read the grey print on it. my watch is charging nicely now through just a usb port, so it’s not the cable. very strange. i’m just pleased i don’t have to throw money at this! thanks so much for your advice.

Jun 21, 2019 4:53 PM in response to rahtwo

Just to be clear, my 10 or 12W adapters with the regular old style big USB charge iPhone, iPad, and Watch S3 when I travel. The only difference is which one comes out of the bag. If it’s working now don’t mess with it, but I suspect there may be a watch charging cable on the way out in the not too distant future. You’re visiting Dublin... I forget if there’s an electronics store in the airport duty free but I would be thinking of grabbing a spare on the way home if the price is right.

As I said earlier, if the plug on the cable fits the socket on the power adapter, it should work even down to a 5W adapter. If the adapter rating is a bit on the low side it might take longer to charge the phone or iPad which have a bigger thirst for power, but the watch only draws something like 1W or 2W so the extra muscle on a higher rated adapter is just not used, the adapter runs below max rating. It’s a bit like having a high powered Ferrari in slow traffic, the engine has a lot in reserve but your right foot never asks for more than 50bhp.

charging apple watch in ireland

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.