Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library on Mac (lose original photos?)

Hello, I manually sync my iPhone to my Mac for all photos. A few months ago I turned on iCloud Photo Library on my Mac (not on any other device). After a while I got a message that my iCloud storage is almost full, so I decided to turn off iCloud Photo Library. In doing so, it stated that I needed to download all my full resolution photos and videos within 30 days. Am I correct in thinking that all my full resolution photos and videos are stored locally on my Mac? I shouldn't need to download anything since it's all manually synced to my Mac, correct? I'm worried and don't want to lose any photos of my newborn.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 11:10 PM

Yes, if everything is synced back to your Mac you should be good my friend! Here is how you can double-check:

Bring up Photos app on your Mac, and select the Photos menu on the top-left corner next to  and select Preferences. Click the iCloud tab and I'm assuming you have iCloud Photos not checked on already.

You can also go to  > System Preferences > iCloud and make sure "Photos" is unchecked there as well (it should be at this point). And again, if you see your pictures in the Photos app with having this turned off you can reset easy.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 11:10 PM in response to azraime1

Yes, if everything is synced back to your Mac you should be good my friend! Here is how you can double-check:

Bring up Photos app on your Mac, and select the Photos menu on the top-left corner next to  and select Preferences. Click the iCloud tab and I'm assuming you have iCloud Photos not checked on already.

You can also go to  > System Preferences > iCloud and make sure "Photos" is unchecked there as well (it should be at this point). And again, if you see your pictures in the Photos app with having this turned off you can reset easy.

iCloud Photo Library on Mac (lose original photos?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.