Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i upgrade the SSD in a new 13" MBP or is it soldered in?

I am looking at buying a new MBP 13" with 128GB SSD, can I upgrade it later myself or is it soldered in as some appear to be meaning you can't upgrade them?? Thanks

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 10:02 AM

The memory chips and storage components are soldered in place for maximum reliability. The drive controller is part of the Apple proprietary T2 chip. There is no known way to replace that drive internally.

Be sure you buy all the computer you need the first time, as there are no "field upgrades" for these computers any longer.

If you find you need more of something internally, your only recourse is to convert the one you have into cash (by selling it) and using the cash to buy the new or used computer that better meets your needs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2019 10:02 AM in response to HarrisJR

The memory chips and storage components are soldered in place for maximum reliability. The drive controller is part of the Apple proprietary T2 chip. There is no known way to replace that drive internally.

Be sure you buy all the computer you need the first time, as there are no "field upgrades" for these computers any longer.

If you find you need more of something internally, your only recourse is to convert the one you have into cash (by selling it) and using the cash to buy the new or used computer that better meets your needs.

can i upgrade the SSD in a new 13" MBP or is it soldered in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.