Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

resetting watch fitness calibration data

I walked exactly 8 miles (verified) but my watch says it is 7.8 miles. I read that I can re calibrate my fitness data. Will that erase my fitness history, or only re calibrate the watch? What would cause it to be in error in the first place?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 3:48 AM

If you reset calibration data then you dont lose any fitness data,what it means is that you will have to do a workout walk or run for 20 mins in order to reset the watch's tracking data,having said that 7.8 miles doesn't seem too far out did you pause anywhere on your walk or did you slow down any because the watch will only measure your workout when you are walking at a brisk walking pace and your heart rate must be higher than if you were taking it easy,a brisk walking pace is a different measurement for everybody as it takes into account your age,weight,and gender.Hope this helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2019 3:48 AM in response to rdhk16gt

If you reset calibration data then you dont lose any fitness data,what it means is that you will have to do a workout walk or run for 20 mins in order to reset the watch's tracking data,having said that 7.8 miles doesn't seem too far out did you pause anywhere on your walk or did you slow down any because the watch will only measure your workout when you are walking at a brisk walking pace and your heart rate must be higher than if you were taking it easy,a brisk walking pace is a different measurement for everybody as it takes into account your age,weight,and gender.Hope this helps.

Jun 24, 2019 4:08 AM in response to Community User

thanks. this is helpful. My brother and I walk together, at the same pace, and we both have new Series 4 apple watches. I have a newer phone than him, but we both use apple phones, and we very carefully checked the distance (it is a marked trail with distances indicated). We did exactly the same walk (more than once) and his watch accurately recorded exactly 8 miles, but mine only said 7.8. That is what concerns me. I am resetting the data now and will see how it does after I do the 20 minute walk. thanks again for your assistance.

resetting watch fitness calibration data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.