Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and camera apps disappeared. Tried everything to get them back. Any other ideas?

I’ve searched with spotlight they are not there.

I’ve reset home screen layout and that did not work.

I’ve reset the entire phone and restored from an old iCloud backup - this did temporarily bring back both apps, for a few minutes, then they disappeared again as the reinstallation of the apps was in progress.

I’ve never had screentime enabled, but I have enabled it and looked at the list of apps, and neither safari nor camera are in the list.

I’ve googled for answers but nothing in the first couple of pages seems to work. These are both pretty critical apps - will an Apple Store help me if no one here can?

iPhone 6s. iOS 12.3.1 (just updated in case that helped, it did not).

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 1:05 PM

Since the Camera and Safari apps cannot be deleted on the iPhone, and you say that you have tried resetting the home screen layout, restore the device to factory and set it up as new, not using a backup. Do you see the Camera app and Safari? If yes, then the problem is in your backup, since the problems recur with using your backup. I suggest adding your content back manually if the apps are present when you set the device up as new.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Herebeme

Since the Camera and Safari apps cannot be deleted on the iPhone, and you say that you have tried resetting the home screen layout, restore the device to factory and set it up as new, not using a backup. Do you see the Camera app and Safari? If yes, then the problem is in your backup, since the problems recur with using your backup. I suggest adding your content back manually if the apps are present when you set the device up as new.

Jun 24, 2019 7:29 PM in response to Herebeme

Glad you were able to figure it out. When Exchange accounts are loaded onto a phone, the Exchange Administrator has the option to set restrictions for certain things, such as requirements for a passcode and when the phone locks, and the ability to remotely wipe the entire device to protect company assets.

Yes, you will need to speak to IT, ask for the Exchange Administrator and see if they will allow those apps. Many times it is against company policy, such as a requirement to disable cameras on property, to prevent photos of intellectual property. Or, it may just be they forgot to turn off those switches!

Safari and camera apps disappeared. Tried everything to get them back. Any other ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.