Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid2017 Mojave crashes after clean install

Mid2017 iMac 5k since upgrading to Mojave my iMac crashes constantly!!!!! I have done a clean install from a bootable USB and have not installed any additional software and have not connected any of my peripheral hard drives etc. I have reset NVRAM, PRAM, ran Disk Utility in Safe Mode, ran Disk Utility from Admin account, ran Apples Hardware Test utility which showed "No issues Found". Every time it crashes I have to unplug the power supply to reset the SMC or it will not reboot. Please advise.

iMac mid2017 5k Retina

4.2GHz Intel Core i7

40GB 2400Mhz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575 4GB

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 4:37 PM

Every time it crashes I have to unplug the power supply to reset the SMC or it will not reboot.

That's an indication of a bad power supply. Had the same problem occur with a 27" iMac. Had to unplug the power cord before it would reboot. It was under warranty but took 3 trips to the Genius Bar and several sessions with Apple engineers via phone before it got fixed.

They wanted to make sure the problem wasn't software related and finally had me erase the drive and reinstall the system without migrating any of my data over from Time Machine. When it kept crashing with a new, pristine system they went ahead and replaced the power supply

If your Mac is in warranty make sure it has a current backup (a clone to an external HD is very good for this type of restore), make an appointment with the nearest Genius Bar and have them test it and, if necessary, erase the HD and install a new, pristine system. Might save you a couple of trips.

If it's not in warranty I'd make an appointment to have the power supply replaced right off the bat. For course have them run their tests but give them authorization to replace the power supply.

Good luck.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2019 4:37 PM in response to KerrySM

Every time it crashes I have to unplug the power supply to reset the SMC or it will not reboot.

That's an indication of a bad power supply. Had the same problem occur with a 27" iMac. Had to unplug the power cord before it would reboot. It was under warranty but took 3 trips to the Genius Bar and several sessions with Apple engineers via phone before it got fixed.

They wanted to make sure the problem wasn't software related and finally had me erase the drive and reinstall the system without migrating any of my data over from Time Machine. When it kept crashing with a new, pristine system they went ahead and replaced the power supply

If your Mac is in warranty make sure it has a current backup (a clone to an external HD is very good for this type of restore), make an appointment with the nearest Genius Bar and have them test it and, if necessary, erase the HD and install a new, pristine system. Might save you a couple of trips.

If it's not in warranty I'd make an appointment to have the power supply replaced right off the bat. For course have them run their tests but give them authorization to replace the power supply.

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2019 5:50 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like it could be the issue, although when I ran Apples Hardware Test utility it came back as not having any hardware issues. Unfortunately I think it is out of warranty so I hope it's not too steep a repair if that is the case!!

The other thing I am trying is setting up another admin account and not logging into my apple account which loads my email account and iCloud files. Was wondering if there is something in there that might be causing it to crash.

Thanks again for the info, it is very helpful!

Jun 25, 2019 6:02 PM in response to KerrySM

Since it's out of warranty you might want to investigate it at little more before going in for service. Make sure all peripherals except your keyboard and mouse are disconnected. Also, I am very concerned about the RAM since obviously you have upgraded that. I would drop down to just 1 or 2 sticks. The fact it crashes so hard you have to do an SMC reset to get it to reboot suggests it could be that added RAM (or the stock RAM) causing the problem.

Does the hardware test give you the option to test the RAM optionally, and did you do that? Even if so and it passed I am still concerned about it.

I would also boot up in Recovery Mode and try the Get Support feature which basically gives you a Safari single-tab browser and try using that for a couple hours to see if Recovery mode itself works ok.

If the safari-in-recovery works OK, but the problem still happens even dropped down to just the stock, or just the upgraded (stock removed) RAM, it may be worth looking at the console logs to see what is going on. It would also be helpful to know that if you just boot up your Mac and don't do anything, if it crashes after a time or is fine until you start doing things. It would also be good to know it only crashes when it's getting pushed and the fan is in high gear that it crashes, or if it crashes even with minimal activity.

You did mention Safe Mode. Specifically have you tried to use Safe Mode for a couple hours and does it crash in there as well, or no? Although RAM is still my number one suspect it could be your SSD (or the power supply, as suggested already).

You could try installing macOS via Recovery Mode onto an external USB and see if that works much better (which would indicate a possible internal SSD/Hard Drive issue) or not.

Personally, I would do all these suggestions before taking it in for out-of-warranty service.

Jun 25, 2019 7:36 PM in response to rcosta887

Well my system has now crashed twice while I have been trying to reply to your post (one while logged as original admin account and the second time while logged in to that same account in "safe Mode". Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to try removing the RAM and installing via Recovery Mode and booting to a USB drive. I have been looking at the console logs but honestly don't really know what I am looking at. The last two crashes occurred when i was trying to copy the info from the "Systems Reports>Retired log to add to this reply because it had some reference to Faliures however it crashed before I could determine what the failures were related to. Is there a particular log that I should be looking at?

I am reluctant to keep rebooting the system since the crashes seem to be happening more frequently.

Again thanks so much for your help!

Jun 26, 2019 12:12 AM in response to KerrySM

In terms of "crashes" being more frequent, what does it do when it crash? Error screen, Apple logo, black screen, or power off?

If it's a power off crash and there is overheating, that would definitely be bad to keep turning it on. If it takes 5-15 minutes to power-off crash first thing in the morning, but 30 seconds to a minute or 2 if you immediately come back after a previous crash, that's a dangerous sign of the CPU failsafe cutting in and shutting off the power due to overheating/bad fan.

Jun 26, 2019 3:12 AM in response to rcosta887

When it crashes the screen just goes black, as if there was a power outage and I have to reboot after pulling the plug for 15 or 20 seconds. The time between crashes has gotten shorter and happens more frequently when I am doing something on it such as Mail, Safari, or iCloud. I also noticed twice after crashes when I logged back in it was in Dark Mode Color scheme although I had set it up for Light screen Mode( than happened once when I logged back in on my original admin account(the one linked to my apple id) and the second time was last night when I logged in in SafeMode on the test admin account I setup.

I copied some of the log files from console to my iCloud folder last night and was going to look through them this morning. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for?

iMac mid2017 Mojave crashes after clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.