Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing options in extensions

I am having trouble sharing with email directly from Preview. When I click the share icon, there is the option to share via Messages, AirDrop, and notes, but no email. When I go to Extensions in system preferences, I find that several options are grayed out and I cannot change them. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Mojave 10.14.5

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 10:59 AM

Is the Mail.app your default email reader? If not, Mail may not be available for sharing.

You may want to check the Mail > Preferences > General.

I have "Default Email Reader" set to "Mail.app", and I have no problems to share documents directly from Preview by Mail.

12 replies

Jun 26, 2019 11:01 AM in response to Old Toad

The "Add People " Sharing option is used for files on iCloud Drive. As you probably know, you can share documents on iCloud Drive and add people to collaborate on a document.

• Select a document on iCloud Drive in the Finder. Then ctrl-click it to open the Sharing options, and you can invite people to work together on your Keynote presentation or similar.

When I try to use "Add People" for a document in Preview, and this document is not on iCloud Drive, I am getting this error message: "you can only add People to documents in iCloud":

Jun 26, 2019 11:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

I Photos the usual reason for missing items in the Share menu is, that too many items have been selected for sharing at once. Each sharing extension has its own limit for the number of items it can share at once. As we select more and more photos for sharing, we can watch more and more sharing options vanish from the Share menu.

Sharing options in extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.