Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disappearing emails on my iphone 5 when I load outlook emails on my laptop

I use Outlook 2016 for my email on my laptop. When I load the emails on my laptop, they immediately disappear on my I phone 5. If I don't load them on my laptop, they are visible on my phone and will stay there until I load them on my laptop. Any ideas?

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 10:26 AM

Sounds like Outlook o your laptop is set up to use POP3 instead of IMAP. POP3 will delete messages from the server when they're downloaded by default.

If you're using multiple clients on the same email account and want to keep everything in sync, you should be using IMAP, not POP3. IMAP will sync everything with all connected clients. POP3 is largely obsolete these days as it was never designed to work with multiple clients.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2019 10:26 AM in response to anthonyLoreto

Sounds like Outlook o your laptop is set up to use POP3 instead of IMAP. POP3 will delete messages from the server when they're downloaded by default.

If you're using multiple clients on the same email account and want to keep everything in sync, you should be using IMAP, not POP3. IMAP will sync everything with all connected clients. POP3 is largely obsolete these days as it was never designed to work with multiple clients.

disappearing emails on my iphone 5 when I load outlook emails on my laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.