Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 1st gen. How to get App Store

Hello forum.

i have a Apple TV 1st gen. I would like to know how to get App Store on this device. I would like to download the Freeview app, channel 9 (Australia) app and YouTube.

any help much appreciated.

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 3:29 AM

If your Apple TV is black, 10×10 cm, then it is a 2nd generation or later.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The white/aluminum, 20×20 cm, Apple TV (1st generation) is obsolete, both for support and practical use. It will not connect anymore to the iTunes Store (online streaming), it will not sync with current versions of iTunes (v12.7 or later) anymore (local storage). It doesn’t support any 3rd party content providers.

The App Store for Apple TV is only available on the newer models: 4th generation and later.

However, if the Freeview app for iOS supports AirPlay, then you may be able to cast it to Apple TV (2nd generation or later), and view your content on the big screen that way.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2019 3:29 AM in response to videomisfit

If your Apple TV is black, 10×10 cm, then it is a 2nd generation or later.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The white/aluminum, 20×20 cm, Apple TV (1st generation) is obsolete, both for support and practical use. It will not connect anymore to the iTunes Store (online streaming), it will not sync with current versions of iTunes (v12.7 or later) anymore (local storage). It doesn’t support any 3rd party content providers.

The App Store for Apple TV is only available on the newer models: 4th generation and later.

However, if the Freeview app for iOS supports AirPlay, then you may be able to cast it to Apple TV (2nd generation or later), and view your content on the big screen that way.

Apple TV 1st gen. How to get App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.