Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help setting up FaceTime, please.

Hi all, Just got my new iPhone 4. It is a cool machine, indeed! I haven't had any reception issues except for the normal AT&T stuff but I am having a serious issue. I can't get the Facetime button to show up. I went into Settings>Phone and turned the Facetime slider to the ON position. I went back to a contact and still no Facetime button. The only buttons I see are Text Message, Share Contact, and Add to Favorites.

I read somewhere that if you backup from your old 3G iPhone that this can cause the problem. So I took the following steps:
1. Made sure Facetime was turned on in the Phone settings (it was off and I turned it on). It still didn't work
2. Reset the phone from the phone's settings (Settings>General>Reset). It still didn't work.

I read that a restore (plugging the phone into the computer and doing a Restore from iTunes) might work but I want to avoid this if possible.

Any solutions out there?

Thank you so much!

Message was edited by: Hosts <to clarify subject>

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 4:29 PM

For Facetime to show up for a contact, you must first call the person that has an iPhone 4. Upon connection they learn that each other is an iPhone 4 (there is no other way as this info isn't out there in the public nor should it be).

Once you call that person, then you can tap Facetime as it will be there while on the call (with Mute and Speaker and all that).

After that first time, THEN Facetime will be an option for that contact for the future so you can just do Facetime direct without having to call.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2010 4:29 PM in response to adria007

For Facetime to show up for a contact, you must first call the person that has an iPhone 4. Upon connection they learn that each other is an iPhone 4 (there is no other way as this info isn't out there in the public nor should it be).

Once you call that person, then you can tap Facetime as it will be there while on the call (with Mute and Speaker and all that).

After that first time, THEN Facetime will be an option for that contact for the future so you can just do Facetime direct without having to call.

Jul 18, 2010 4:29 PM in response to DaVBMan

Bien sûr, vous êtes un génie! I will try this and see if it works. Makes sense to me, I was wondering how it would know that the other person had an iPhone. Strange though since my husband's iPhone already has that button available and he didn't have to call anyone to get it to show up. I will try it and let you know if it works!

Help setting up FaceTime, please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.