Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a High Sierra Bootable USB Install Disk w/ Mojave

I am trying to do a clean install of High Sierra on my MacBook Air (which has crashed) by creating a Bootable Install Disk with my iMac which is running Mojave V 10.14.5

High Sierra is that latest version that is compatible the the model of MacBook Air that I own.

I have successfully downloaded the full (5.23GB) High Sierra Install File using my iMac, and I have followed the instructions provided by Apple Support at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I am not sure I am using the proper commands in Terminal when copying the High Sierra installer to the USB drive. The instructions vary, in the Apple Support Guide, depending upon which OS is being copied.

In my case, I am copying the High Sierra Installer to a USB Drive, using Mojave, in order to install High Sierra on the MacBook. I am using the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume (where MyVolume is the name of the formatted USB drive)

Upon trying to install High Sierra with the created Bootable Disk, I am getting an error stating the install files are damaged or corrupt.

Am I using the correct Terminal commands to make this Bootable Install Disk?

Thanks for any help!

G

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 9:16 PM

grevans Said:

Am I using the correct Terminal commands to make this Bootable Install Disk?

I think this has what you are looking for:

How to Create and Use a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 28, 2019 11:47 PM in response to gevans

Ok so first of all lets wipe that USB stick, I take it it is at least 16GBs in size. open Disk Utility, click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices, now go to the left hand column and select the USB Disk not the indented Volume now click on Eras and give the Disk a name, set the Format and the Scheme as shown in the screenshot below. Once the the reformat has completed, move the Install macOS High Sierra.app to your Desktop. Control-click on the install app and click Show Package Contents, click on Contents and then Resources. Now open Terminal and type in sudo. followed by a space. In the Resources folder you will see createinstallmedia, drag that into the Terminal window (the full path of its location is now pasted into Terminal, beats all that typing) now type in --volume (and then a space) now drag the USB disk image on the Desktop into Terminal, again the full path will be pasted in. Now press Return and follow the Terminal instructions as before. Do not use the Mac for anything else whilst it is doing this.

Once the process is completed then you can eject the USB and put it in your other Mac, boot up from the USB and see if you can install High Sierra. If you are still having problems then it may be a problem with the USB itself, try another, minimum 16GBs. If that does not work then try downloading the High Sierra install app again (you will need to delete the original one)

and create another USB installer, do not do anything else with the Mac whilst it is downloading.

There is a free app that does all the work for you, https://diskmakerx.com/diskmaker-x-for-macos-10-13-high-sierra-is-ready/

if you want to try that.

Do you know why your Mac crashed in the first place, its seems a bit of an over reaction to re install the OS if it only crashed, tell us more about your problem.

Jun 29, 2019 6:28 AM in response to gevans

As has been already mentioned, possible the downloaded HS is corrupted or also mentioned USB issues.

For me, I just did a HS USB installer yesterday from within Mojave and all went fine. Used the following Terminal command

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Create a High Sierra Bootable USB Install Disk w/ Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.