Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to force quit Pages App on MacBook Pro

When I go to the "Purchased" tab in the App Store, Pages has an install button next to it instead of an update button (even though it's an app I frequently use). When I click install, a box eventually pops up telling me that Pages cannot be installed while the app is open. To remedy this, I've tried to force quit the app (clicking the option on the app and also using control keys), but it doesn't work. The app doesn't even show up on launchpad or the Activity Monitor. I'm confused as to how to solve this issue and would appreciate any guidance.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 4:15 AM

Power off your Mac. Reboot into Safe Boot Mode by pressing the shift key until you see boot progress. This will be much slower as it is performing various System housekeeping tasks. Reboot normally.

Press and hold the shift key while launching Pages. Then quit from the Pages application menu or ⌘-Q.

Now, revisit the Mac App Store Updates tab, and install Pages v8.1.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2019 4:15 AM in response to kaity97

Power off your Mac. Reboot into Safe Boot Mode by pressing the shift key until you see boot progress. This will be much slower as it is performing various System housekeeping tasks. Reboot normally.

Press and hold the shift key while launching Pages. Then quit from the Pages application menu or ⌘-Q.

Now, revisit the Mac App Store Updates tab, and install Pages v8.1.

Jun 30, 2019 9:13 AM in response to kaity97

Menu > Apple > Force Quit > click on Pages (name should be in red)

If your mouse is a spinning beachball, just drag the cursor away from the Pages window and click on the Desktop then skirt around the Pages window to get up to the Menu.

It is not the control key it is command q to quit. You can also switch between all open Apps using command tab.

Unable to force quit Pages App on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.