Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari freezes and becomes unresponsive when I open it?

Hi I accidentally enabled banner notifications on my Macbook Pro for a shopping site (Urban Outfitters) and haven't figured out how to go back and disallow those. This weekend I clicked one to see if it would take me to preferences of some sort, and instead it brought me to the shopping site's homepage. At this point, Safari froze. Anywhere I clicked, including the red button to close the window did nothing and just made the "can't do that" noise. When I try to open the menu at the top to reach preferences, it's gray and unavailable. When I try clicking any of the available options, it just makes that noise again and does nothing. I have to force quit it. I tried restarting my computer but it happens every time I open Safari. I'm fine using Chrome, but it is frustrating that it's just stuck like that. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 6:46 AM

Force quit Safari (command-option-esc) and then reopen holding the Shift key.

3 replies

Safari freezes and becomes unresponsive when I open it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.