Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guided Access Restart After Crash

If my device is in Guided Access (kiosk mode) how long will it be before the app restarts after a crash? Is there a control for that in MDM?

iPhone 6s Plus, 12

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 9:34 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 2, 2019 7:32 AM in response to GeneO_1023

Hi GeneO_1023,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you have a question about Guided Access.

Can you provide more detail about what's been happening? What do you mean by "how long will it be before the app restarts after a crash?" Also, what happened when you say there was a crash? Did the device restart, or something else?

Generally speaking, this resource has some great information on how to Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, including how you can end and restart sessions, and how you can manage time limits. I hope I've answered your question!

Kind regards.

Jul 2, 2019 12:38 PM in response to GeneO_1023

Hello GeneO_1023,

Thanks for the additional detail. The resources below provide the most detailed available information about Guided Access:

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Use Guided Access on iPhone

It does not appear that there's a setting that would changed the timeframe you mentioned, so your best bet may be to send feedback to Apple: Product Feedback

Take care.

Jul 2, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I am using the iPhone 6s as a continuous monitoring camera. Basically the app acquires a video clip (1.5 seconds duration) and then sends that clip to our server, which performs some analysis, and then responds to the app with an http response (html web page). The process then loops back and acquires the video again. The file is stored in local storage of the phone (Flash memory). Crashlytics shows that there is no memory issue and that the disk is not full. Happy to share that data if it would help.

I use AVCaptureSession and the file is stored as a .Mov and converted to .mp4 using AVExportSession.

I use Crashlytics to monitor the system. Crashlytics shows that there was a recording error from the AVCaptureSession (didFinishRecordingToUrl with Error). I presume it is just an error in the Flash memory recording due to some unknown factor. We perform this operation dozens of times per minute, so I know there is no issue with the code per se. I expect there is something in runtime, but I did not find any memory leaks using Xcode tools for that. When the app gets that recording error, we try to restart the AVCaptureSession and the app crashes because we try to add the rear facing camera as an input device and it is already present and we can't add two video devices to the same AVCaptureSession.

But I can see that the app restarts at a later time by looking at the logs from our server. The time interval before it restarts seems to be somewhat unpredictable, but it always does restart within an hour or two. I can tell that from the server monitoring which measures data coming from the app to the server on AWS.

I have already put in a change to correct for the error response which I have in evaluation with the App Store, but I wanted to see if there is something that I could do to shorten the time required for a restart in Guided Access. Currently it seems to be a random time value.

GENE

I am

Guided Access Restart After Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.