Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just signed up for 3 months free Apple Music.Does the 3 month free Apple Music allow me to get songs for free from the iTunes Store to add to my Apple Music playlists? (usually they’re $1.29 each) i cant seem to escape the $1.29 charge no matter wh

Does the 3 month free Apple Music allow me to get songs for free from the iTunes Store to add to my Apple Music playlists? (usually they’re $1.29 each)

i cant seem to escape the $1.29 charge no matter what I do. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 2:50 PM

There are two separate music libraries. The original is the iTunes Store, from which you can purchase songs to keep as long as you like. The Apple Music library is slightly smaller and is separately. As long as you pay the subscription you can stream any song in the library or download it for offline listening, and this comes at no further cost above the subscription: but if you stop the subscription these downloaded songs will disappear. Of course this does not affect any songs you've bought from the iTunes Store: you purchase these and they are not part of the Apple Music subscription.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 2:50 PM in response to optix5000

There are two separate music libraries. The original is the iTunes Store, from which you can purchase songs to keep as long as you like. The Apple Music library is slightly smaller and is separately. As long as you pay the subscription you can stream any song in the library or download it for offline listening, and this comes at no further cost above the subscription: but if you stop the subscription these downloaded songs will disappear. Of course this does not affect any songs you've bought from the iTunes Store: you purchase these and they are not part of the Apple Music subscription.

Jul 2, 2019 2:53 PM in response to optix5000

You do not use the iTunes Store app to download Apple Music. If you download by using the iTunes Store app you are purchasing the music and you pay the price shown -- whether or not you have an Apple Music subscription. Some people want to do that in some cases because they want to own the music. If they downloaded it under Apple Music, they would only have the right to listen to it as long as they continued to subscribe.

If you want to download music that you are paying for with an Apple Music subscription, see the link previously supplied: Add and download music and video content from the Apple Music catalog - Apple Support

That link also states:

There's no cost to add or download content. Learn more about Apple Music and how to join. If you don't subscribe to Apple Music but want to download content to your device, you can buy music from the iTunes Store app on your iOS device or in iTunes on a Mac or PC.

What that doesn't say is that you can buy music from the iTunes Store app even if you are subscribed to Apple Music.

If you download using the iTunes Store app you pay. If you follow the instructions in Add and download music and video content from the Apple Music catalog - Apple Support

you don't pay.

Jul 2, 2019 2:38 PM in response to FoxFifth

Doesn’t answer my question.

Sorry if I didn’t ask clearly.

Again:

Now that I have a Apple Music subscription (free trial offer) is there a way I can download the $1.29 songs for free?

Meaning, is there a way I don’t have to pay the $1.29 cost?

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

OR do I misunderstand the “free music”/ “free download” promise, because it doesn’t apply to those $1.29 songs from the iTunes Store?

Which of those two scenarios is correct:

(1) the $1.29 songs in the iTunes Store are now free with my Apple Music subscription, but I’m not doing something correctly to get them for free.

OR

(2) They’re not free. I misunderstand what is and isn’t “free” with the Apple Music subscription and if I want to download them I still have to pay $1.29.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I am a total newb, sorry.

Just signed up for 3 months free Apple Music.Does the 3 month free Apple Music allow me to get songs for free from the iTunes Store to add to my Apple Music playlists? (usually they’re $1.29 each) i cant seem to escape the $1.29 charge no matter wh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.