You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring my iTunes music onto a flashdrive so i don't lose it when Apple closed iTunes.

I want to transfer my music library on iTunes to a flash drive. I have tried to follow existing instructions from here, highlighting the songs I want to move. But then, it won't drag onto the flash drive. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 9:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 9:30 PM

Apple isn't closing iTunes; they're splitting its functions between several new applications in Catalina.

To back up your library manually, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/Music/ as the path(or the location you moved it to), and drag the entire iTunes folder to the thumbdrive. If desired, you can instead open it and drag only the song files, but this won't preserve the library's playlists or other metadata.

(172619)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 2, 2019 9:30 PM in response to edencd

Apple isn't closing iTunes; they're splitting its functions between several new applications in Catalina.

To back up your library manually, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/Music/ as the path(or the location you moved it to), and drag the entire iTunes folder to the thumbdrive. If desired, you can instead open it and drag only the song files, but this won't preserve the library's playlists or other metadata.

(172619)

Transferring my iTunes music onto a flashdrive so i don't lose it when Apple closed iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.