Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying between external HDs through USB hub

When I tried to copy my TM backup to a new HD, I got error -36, see here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2498811&tstart=0.

Now I tried to copy a smaller subfolder between the old HD and the new HD, and got the same error. But the files it couldn't copy were OK; I could open and copy them. Then I tried to copy the subfolder to my main HD, and that succeeded. Here are my questions

1. The two external HDs are connected through a USB hub. Could that be cause of the copying problems? It appears to be the issue, as whenever I try to copy large amounts of data between the disks, I get an error, but I can copy to my main HD.
2. While I can copy the small folder to my main HD and then to the new HD, I cannot do that with the whole TM backup due to space constraints. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 1.6/HDD, Mac OS X (10.6.2), MacBook (10.4.11) iPhone 3GS Dell Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 3:09 PM

3 replies

Copying between external HDs through USB hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.