Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install or upgrade MacOs on my MacBook Pro early 2015

Hi MacBook experts, this is the 1st time I'm posting here.

This post is a little long but I highly need your help.

I have a MacBook Pro i5 Retina 13" (early 2015) that just refuses all methods of reinstalling or factory reset or upgrading MacOs.

Here a background history and what I've done :

The MacBook was running MacOs High Sierra, Version 10.13 (17A365) and the only way used to boot was by pressing Power Button & Option key (Efi). The normal boot was stucking at half.

My "Admin" account was changed from "Admin" to "Standard" tjis happened when I attempted to change my admin name. So here I couldn't install or do anything that requires an Admin permission.

I tried all ways possible to reinstall or factory reset or upgrade the OS but nothing worked, this is the list of what I've tried :

* Power Button + R only takes me to internet recovery, I connected to internet and tried it for multiple times (takes many hours with no progress and just stucks at like 35% of that line under apple logo).

* I downloaded macOS High Sierra Combo Update and tried to install it but all stuck

- Created a bootable usb install MacOs High Sierra tried to install it (tried it many times, takes many hours with no progress and just stucks at like Half of that line under apple logo).

- Created a bootable usb install MacOs Mojave tried to install it (tried it many times, takes many hours with no progress and just stucks at like Half of that line under apple logo).

* I can't access to Mac OS X Utilities no matter what I try.

* Using single user mode for root by pressing "Power Button" & "S" and typing 

/sbin/mount -uw/ & rm /var/db/.applesetupdone nothing happens and actually no root option is given on the single user mode

* Right now I wiped the whole MacBook SSD and formatted it and partitioning it under macOS extension using external windows 10 HDD and I re-tried everything above and the same thing happens, no progress.

I've been fighting with it for a week, searched everywhere online, tried all ways possible but nothing worked.

I've read that sometimes is the SSD or logic board failure, but to exclude this conclusion here I installed Windows 10 on my MacBook SSD from bootable USB without any issues and it only took me 10mins to install it.

Now I can't access to single user mode when holding command & S.

I again retried the bootable USB installation High Sierra & then Mojave and same thing happens, the bar under Apple logo just freezes and doesn't move.

My question is, how can I surpass this issues and reinstall MacOs High Sierra or upgrade to Mojave, what would be the cause that preventing the installation?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 4:07 PM

Yes Command+S. Before I wiped the SSD & installed Windows 10 on it I usrd to enter single user mode when pressing Command+S, and after typing the commands there was NO such line that would say :/ root# (and the result was saying "no such file or directory".

I can't perform the installation into an external drive as no macOS installed on my MacBook's SSD now.

And may I know why it's too late if the SSD is wiped now? Shouldn't be working just as when a new SSD installed?

Thanks!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2019 4:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes Command+S. Before I wiped the SSD & installed Windows 10 on it I usrd to enter single user mode when pressing Command+S, and after typing the commands there was NO such line that would say :/ root# (and the result was saying "no such file or directory".

I can't perform the installation into an external drive as no macOS installed on my MacBook's SSD now.

And may I know why it's too late if the SSD is wiped now? Shouldn't be working just as when a new SSD installed?

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2019 4:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Internet recovery didn't do the job as well. After connecting to WiFi and then perform internet recovery it just freezes at like 30%, even leaving it fo many hours to do its job, still no progress.

When inserting the USB installer I then connect to WiFi then I select the installer and it starts the process but it stuck in half. And no, no choice of drives as to where to install as there's only one drive available which is the internal SSD.

I would like to know what can prevent the installation from finishing considering the whole MacBook's hardware is all working!!

Unable to install or upgrade MacOs on my MacBook Pro early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.