Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I may have a virus now?

I opened my e-mail and saw a e-mail saying "Thank you for your subscription!" with a PDF file attached. I wasn't thinking to check the sender and opened the PDF file which showed a fake confirmation from Apple. I immediately closed everything, deleted the file, cleared my history and cookies then restarted my laptop (as well as changed my e-mail password).

I usually don't open e-mails like that, but for some reason I did this time

What happens if you open a fake PDF file like that? Do you get a virus/key-logged? I opened it from my MacBook

Edit: here's what it looked like

MacBook

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 1:20 PM

Opening a bogus email will not cause a problem.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies

Jul 7, 2019 1:27 PM in response to stedman1

That's such a relief.

I'd never enter information like that, but I do know that sometimes just clicking on a link like that is all it takes for someone to get your information. I don't know if the file contained a website to visit or not, I only saw the first page and immediately closed it (there were a few other pages). I assume that the website would've been linked/mentioned in the other pages?

I may have a virus now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.