Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Keyboard (IPad 11 inch) Letters Rubbing Off

I bought a new IPad with a Smart Keyboard folio late November 2018. I use the keyboard most days but not heavily yet I am finding the A key is almost entirely rubbed off and the left hand shift is 50% rubbed off.

Seems a bit quick for keys to be losing their lettering. Is there anything I can do ?

iPad Pro, 12

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 2:12 AM

7 replies

Jul 9, 2019 12:34 PM in response to Corrivale

Hi, Corrivale,

If you search, you’ll find other discussions on this forum about your issue. Some, I believe, may have gotten replacements? Personally, the Smart keyboard I bought, when the ‘18 iPadPro first came out, has many letters obliterated (below).

They wear out. With normal keyboards, I’d wear holes clean thru the keys. With the Smart keyboard I had some time past with my previous iPadPro, I’d worn some letters down right to the wiring.

Different letters seem to wear off on different users, somehow...

Hope this helps!

Linda

Jul 9, 2019 3:15 PM in response to ilovedaisies

It's Brydge and trust me, it's great in the lap. Though for the 11" iPad pro I have it sitting on a Feacon lap pad, which is a little wider. From a typing perspective the Brydge simply offer the best typing experience I've ever had with any keyboard. It's one solid piece of aluminum, has backlit keys, iOS shortcuts and the battery can last up to a year between charges. Plus unlike the Logitech or Zagg, you can set your iPad to infinite viewing angles.

Here's a photo:

Jul 9, 2019 3:41 PM in response to ilovedaisies

Of course it's personal preference. I can use the keyboard without the lap pad. The Brydge shares virtually the same dimension as the Logitech. But if you have the 11" iPad Pro, it's smaller then the 12.9" iPad. I chose to add the lap pad. I also have no issues swiping up from the bottom in any way.

I also own the Logitech Slim Folio for iPad Pro 11. I gave it to my partner and use the Brydge for my use. They're both excellent, but to me the Brydge just more so. Here's a photo of the Logitech:

Jul 9, 2019 11:39 AM in response to Corrivale

Hi there Corrivale

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues with your Smart Keyboard. I’ll be happy to help.

Since this is a physical issue, the best option is going to be to reach out to Apple Support using the following link to continue so they can explore your service options with you:

Contact Apple Support

Best wishes.

Jul 9, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Corrivale

As ilovedaisies pointed out some people have gotten replacements for the same thing you've described. That said, it will happen to any replacement you get, because the letters are painted on fabric, which is how the Smart Folio keyboards are built.

If you go to your Apple Store and they are kind enough to replace the keyboard, you need to understand this will happen again.

Much as I love Apple, I don't love the Smart Keyboard. There are loads of high quality options you can purchase from great companies like Brydge (what I use and love), Logitech (another excellent option) and Zagg.

Jul 9, 2019 2:59 PM in response to Corrivale

And as rbrylawski said, there are others which are excellent. When I wore thru the keys on the Smart Keyboard with my last older version of the iPadPro, I chose the Logitech which I just loved. Loved the lighted background. Loved the extra row of keys, and especially the easy volume control. (Now, the volume control is easy, using the control panel.)

It’s what I would have chosen, this time around, too; however, nothing else was available, when the ‘18 iPadPro came out. For sure, I wouldn’t have done the Zagg, as with small iPads, I’d used several. Typing mostly only from my lap, they’d lose balance and go flying. Trying to grab them before they hit the floor, my fingers would land on places on the screen, where, frequently, I’d lose all my data.

The Bryce is new to me. At first glance it doesn’t seem to have the back support which would aid in lap typing. So, I’d have to investigate it further if and when the time came. Meanwhile, there are a number of great videos on YouTube that show feature-by-feature comparisons that I’d recommend investigating if, next time, you chose to try another route.

Jul 9, 2019 3:23 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Hi, rbylawski,

I know you love this brand! Thank you for correcting my spelling...

I’m afraid having to use a lap pad in order to use it would be out of the question. Also, when you watch the numerous comparison videos about the current popular keyboards, you’ll find lots of different preferences for lots of different reasons.

I can only share the misgivings on those I’ve experienced, while recommending prospective purchasers try to find out as much as they can about each model before making their personal choice.

I know there are folks who would agree with you. My recollection was that most were due to the sleek look of it making the iPadPro most like a MacPro. The biggest disadvantage I saw, off hand, was trying to swipe up from the bottom, due to limited space.

Smart Keyboard (IPad 11 inch) Letters Rubbing Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.