Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone Dialing App for iPad Air 3

Hello, I am a new iPad user. In fact this is my first Apple device. I have seen phone dialing app in people’s iPhone but I cannot find that same app in my iPad Air 3. Also, there is no calculator app in my device. I need a solution for this. Thanks in advance.

Software version: 12.3.1

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 10:33 AM

The only telephony software on your iPad is Facetime. You can use it to call other people with Apple devices.

There is also no included calculator. However, there are hundreds of calculator apps available in the App Store.

7 replies

Jul 9, 2019 10:34 AM in response to samiurrahman

There is no iOS default calculator app for iPads and never has been. You will have to select a free or for fee calculator app from the App Store to use instead.

As for phone dialing, you will need a VOIP service. An iPad is not capable of even connecting to any cellular telephone voice network, so the only calls it can make are internet VOIP calls using something like the included FaceTime app, or Skype or some other third party VOIP app and service (Ooma works on iPads).

If you have an iphone you can pair the iPad to it to share the iPhone's cellular telephone capabilities - see Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jul 9, 2019 10:37 AM in response to samiurrahman

First of all, iPad is not a cell phone, so the native phone app on iPhone would be of no value to an iPad. Even if you purchased a cellular iPad, it is for data only as iPad does not have a cellular radio like a cell phone.

Since you admit this is your first Apple device, you won't be able to make or receive phone calls on the iPad. If you owned an iPhone, you would be able to via Apple Continuity Services, but that won't help you if you don't have an iPhone. There are 3rd party apps you can use, such as Skype.

Apple just doesn't include a calculator app natively on iPad, but there are loads of Calculator apps, many which are free, you can download from the App Store.

Phone Dialing App for iPad Air 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.