Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove an EFI boot partition?

I have an old 3.5” internal SATA drive — a 4 terabyte one — I’m trying to sell on: as I know longer have a need for it.

I wiped it, securely, in a dock connected to my iMac*: whilst it was connected in an internal bay.

Then, as it refused to mount, after the wipe?

I put it into an internal bay in my old MacPro — running 10.7.5 — and wiped it there.

It showed up, after the wipe.

However, when I took it to the shop, it showed up as a 200mb or so EFI BOOT partition.

How do I remove that partition?

*        Running 10.14.5

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 9:20 PM

Whenever you use Disk Utility to "erase" a drive it always partitions and formats it. If you securely erased the drive, then it really doesn't matter if macOS puts partitions or file systems on the drive.

To wipe the partition table from the drive on a Mac, you can use the Terminal command line utility "dd" to zero out the first section of the drive. You need to determine the drive identifier for the drive you want to "erase". The basic form of the command is as follows, however, you must replace "diskN" with the proper drive identifier:

sudo  dd  if=/dev/null  of=/dev/diskN  bs=100m  count=10

The above command will write 1GB of zeroes to the beginning of the drive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2019 9:20 PM in response to Paul Downie

Whenever you use Disk Utility to "erase" a drive it always partitions and formats it. If you securely erased the drive, then it really doesn't matter if macOS puts partitions or file systems on the drive.

To wipe the partition table from the drive on a Mac, you can use the Terminal command line utility "dd" to zero out the first section of the drive. You need to determine the drive identifier for the drive you want to "erase". The basic form of the command is as follows, however, you must replace "diskN" with the proper drive identifier:

sudo  dd  if=/dev/null  of=/dev/diskN  bs=100m  count=10

The above command will write 1GB of zeroes to the beginning of the drive.

Jul 18, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Paul Downie

All the volumes on the drive need to be unmounted before "dd" will write to the drive. If the Finder or Disk Utility ejects the drive instead, then you can use command line to locate the mounted volumes and then unmount them without ejecting the drive.

Remember to substitute the correct drive identifier in place of the "N" in "diskN" in the following commands:

To find all the mounted volumes on "diskN":

mount  |  grep  -i  diskN

Unmount each volume listed from the output of the previous command using the form:

diskutil  unmount  /Volumes/<volume-name>

Example showing the commands and their output where the drive I want to zero is "disk2":

hwtech$ mount |  grep  -i  disk2
/dev/disk2s2  on  /Volumes/Storage
/dev/disk2s3  on  /Volumes/Backup Work

hwtech$  diskutil  unmount  /Volumes/Storage
Volume Storage on disk2s2 unmounted

hwtech$  diskutil  unmount  /Volumes/Backup\ Work
Volume Backup Work on disk2s3 unmounted

Once all the volumes on the drive are unmounted, you can use the "dd" command to zero out the beginning of the drive.

How do I remove an EFI boot partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.