Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blocking cookies in Safari

I have an iMac 14,3 running Sierra 10,12.6. Recently, out of curiosity, I erased all the cookies present in Safari. Then I turned on the 'do not allow cookies". I closed safari then reopened it and went to the cookies window. Everything was gone but even as I watched around a dozen or so reSaappeared. I repeated these steps numerous times and in various orders with the same result. The same cookies reappeared almost immediately. I inquired about one titled Outbrain. From what i read I do not want it on my machine. But, I don't know how to avoid Outbrain or any of the others that circumvent the "no cookies at all" rule.

Please help?

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 10:00 AM

Clear all history and web site data see this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri47acf5d6/mac

This will remove cookies for the web sites that has been viewed , to stop cookies use private browsing see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/safari/ibrw1069/mac

4 replies

Jul 10, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried your suggestions but nothing seems to effect the "invasion". And, from the message of Evercookie it seems a waste of effort to try and be picky about what's being put on one's machine. Blocking must work to some extent because I had to turn it off to login here. I added a list of those I can't stop. If any are true monsters maybe you can warn me. Just out of curiosity - would there be more control with a firewall of some kind? I really appreciate your time. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Gryphon11

As the 2nd article points out, they are capable of regenerating after deletion with files that go to many parts of the system.

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

The myth of the dangerous cookie 

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Then go to Safari/History and delete any entries for the related websites.

Test.

blocking cookies in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.