Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer and Alerts "Change with Buttons", Silent Switch and Bedtime

I don't understand what this setting does: Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts > Change with Buttons. It seems to affect my alarm clock when active. I wanted to mute my phone but not my alarm clock. So I turned Change with Buttons off. OK. But now when I get a text message the Ding sound is super loud even with my physical volume buttons set to the lowest setting.

So I was reading about the Ring/Silent Switch on the side. But according to this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203017, "When in silent mode, the alarms you set in the Clock app will still sound, and calls from Favorite contacts will still ring." Does it mute texts/imessage from favorites?

Last question, if I understand Bedtime it mutes everything except repeated calls from favorites. Can I tell it to allow the first call from favorites?

To try to be precise:

What does "Volume" refer to when adjusting the physical up and down buttons and Change with Buttons is off?

When set to Silent, does the Ring/Silent switch mute calls from non-favorites? What about texts/imessages from favorites? (I would be please if this meant I could hear calls/texts from favorites only and mute unknown robo calls for example).

How do these settings interact with each other? With Bedtime?

I really only want to hear texts/imessages and phone calls from people I know and have set as favorites. What combination of settings is best for that?

Thank you.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 7:14 PM

Hey chuckalpha,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you have some questions regarding the volume settings on your iPhone, and how to ensure your Favorites are able to reach you. I am happy to provide some information.

When your turn off the option to "Change with Buttons" you're essentially locking the ringer and alert volumes in place with the sliders in Settings. The only way to adjust that again would be to back into Settings. You can see more about that here: Adjust the volume on iPhone

When your iPhone is on silent mode (the ring/silent switched is flipped to show orange) your device doesn't ring, play alerts or other sound effects. This does not change Alarms for sounding as expected.

It sounds like you may want to use Do Not Disturb. That way most notifications are silenced, but you can choose to allow calls from Favorites. The link below will tell you more about that, and how Bedtime plays into your notifications as well.

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Thanks again, and have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2019 7:14 PM in response to chuckalpha

Hey chuckalpha,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you have some questions regarding the volume settings on your iPhone, and how to ensure your Favorites are able to reach you. I am happy to provide some information.

When your turn off the option to "Change with Buttons" you're essentially locking the ringer and alert volumes in place with the sliders in Settings. The only way to adjust that again would be to back into Settings. You can see more about that here: Adjust the volume on iPhone

When your iPhone is on silent mode (the ring/silent switched is flipped to show orange) your device doesn't ring, play alerts or other sound effects. This does not change Alarms for sounding as expected.

It sounds like you may want to use Do Not Disturb. That way most notifications are silenced, but you can choose to allow calls from Favorites. The link below will tell you more about that, and how Bedtime plays into your notifications as well.

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Jul 15, 2019 4:45 PM in response to chuckalpha

Hi chuckalpha ,

We're glad Do Not Disturb may help you accomplish what you're looking for. I can definitely tell you more about what to expect from that feature and Do Not Disturb While Driving as well.

It sounds like you're wanting to be sure that the automatic response that is sent out while you're driving wouldn't be sent when Do Not Disturb is enabled, and you're not driving. If that's the case, rest assured that your Contacts will only get the automatic response when your device senses you may be driving and enabled Do Not Disturb While Driving. This is different from Do Not Disturb, and you can choose to turn on Do Not Disturb While Driving from the Control Center, this would send the automatic message.

Your Favorites can also break through the Do Not Disturb While Driving by sending "Urgent" for emergency situations. You can see all about Do Not Disturb While Driving here: How to use Do Not Disturb While Driving

I hope this was helpful!

Jul 12, 2019 8:53 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you, alex_h1.

I think you solved my original question. I like your idea of using Do Not Disturb. Here's a followup question.

I have Do Not Disturb While Driving > Automatically, Auto-Reply To > Favorites turned on with the default Auto-Reply message. If I receive a text message when I have activated Do Not Disturb from the Control panel does my favorite get the "I'm driving with Do Not Disturb... " message?

Ringer and Alerts "Change with Buttons", Silent Switch and Bedtime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.