Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Share Apple Music Song to Instagram

I have been trying for weeks to share my Apple Music songs to my Instagram as a story. However, I keep getting the same error message when I go to Share Song... > Instagram icon. I have attached the error message below. I keep updating both apps and it’s always the same. Please help!

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 3:18 AM

As usual this thread is also full of arrogant answers by perceived "experts" who are giving less than a minute of thought before typing their responses. How exactly is sharing a link to Apple Music track is violation of copyright? What do you mean when you say "rights to share"? How do I attain that? Apple Music's own share system allows me to copy links to individual tracks, albums and playlist, sharing it with a fellow Apple Music user is a violation? Where is it written?

You have no idea how good this feedback can be for Apple. Spotify has great integration with Instagram for long, that allows "sharing" music right from Spotify to Instagram stories with rich content and custom UI. Apple Music could benefit from the same, as people love sharing what they are playing. Instagram also has a "Music" option in their story composer which apparently is not rolled out to all regions yet and that's why we are getting an error from Instagram, and that is the correct answer for OP.

But looking at the responses here, all this discussion is falling on deaf ears.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2019 3:18 AM in response to Alikay7

As usual this thread is also full of arrogant answers by perceived "experts" who are giving less than a minute of thought before typing their responses. How exactly is sharing a link to Apple Music track is violation of copyright? What do you mean when you say "rights to share"? How do I attain that? Apple Music's own share system allows me to copy links to individual tracks, albums and playlist, sharing it with a fellow Apple Music user is a violation? Where is it written?

You have no idea how good this feedback can be for Apple. Spotify has great integration with Instagram for long, that allows "sharing" music right from Spotify to Instagram stories with rich content and custom UI. Apple Music could benefit from the same, as people love sharing what they are playing. Instagram also has a "Music" option in their story composer which apparently is not rolled out to all regions yet and that's why we are getting an error from Instagram, and that is the correct answer for OP.

But looking at the responses here, all this discussion is falling on deaf ears.

Sep 3, 2019 3:50 PM in response to dan0ken19

I would think Apple Music would want available to their subscribers when using Instagram.

Suggest that to them. I'll guess it's a mechanical issue with Apple Music (DRM protected) vs. iTunes purchased music. Pointing a non Apple Music user to an Apple Music track will result in no music to preview/purchase.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback/

If the sharing of Music directs to a place to preview/purchase the music, that would not violate the terms.

Oct 11, 2019 1:56 PM in response to aweaver61

Interesting that you mentioned your friends being able to share through iTunes to Instagram. I checked my Purchased songs through iTunes instead of Apple Music and it still gives me the option for sharing (which is not available on Apple Music right now) but prompts me with the same error message when attempted. I have the iPhone Xr with the latest update and the sharing problem still exists.

I have provided Apple with some feedback through the following link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'd recommend you do the same.

Sep 3, 2019 3:08 PM in response to dan0ken19

Why would Apple Music not be capitalizing on this feature? What difference does Spotify and SoundCloud give to their users that avoids these sharing rights you speak of?

Capitalizing on a feature to allow potential illegal usage of music. Is that really your question?

I know the rules, I don't interpret them for these companies. That they interpret these real laws differently from Apple is also outside of my ability to explain.

Nobody has yet, but in this discussion about rights, somebody typically floats the "victimless crime" or "no harm is done" our "the artists actually make money from this" rationale. None of that excuse-making changes the laws.

See >>> https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/legal/end-user-agreement/#s15

And https://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use#your-use-of-the-platform

Sep 3, 2019 3:45 PM in response to LACAllen

Interesting, thanks.

And no, that wasn't my question. I understand the illegalities of transposing audio onto some video or image that is shared to the public.

What Spotify and SoundCloud allows for is the sharing (through an instagram story) of a pre-formatted visual of an in-app song that plays no audio, but provides a hyperlink. That hyperlink, when clicked on by a viewer of the story, will redirect the viewer to the Spotify or SoundCloud app page where they can then play the posted/shared song from instagram. What confuses me more is that the sharing function for Apple Music is compatible with Twitter. That is, one of my followers can click on a shared song that redirects them to the song within the Apple Music app. To clarify, this is feature I would think Apple Music would want available to their subscribers when using Instagram.

Sep 24, 2019 4:41 PM in response to Fu92

haring a link on Instagram directing someone to listen to your music is NOT copyright, that’s just so incorrect.

Facts matter. Please re-read my contribution to this conversation.

The original post I answered asked about using Apple Music in an Instagram story. That implies syncing the music to Images, which is not allowed due to copyright reasons. More accurately, synchronization rights.

Sharing a link was not the question asked and I have not answered that question.

Aug 31, 2019 12:07 PM in response to excitive

As usual this thread is also full of arrogant answers by perceived "experts" who are giving less than a minute of thought before typing their responses.

See >>> https://help.instagram.com/126382350847838

The issue is rife with unclear direction. The above is Instagram's own direction on using copyrighted material on their service.

It is not a cut and dried edict they can make. Copyright holders have rights and if they feel those rights have been violated, they can pursue Instagram to have them respected.

No third party can blanket waive these rights as part of their service. Now that the world has no digital borders, Instagram must also manage copyright for any country where their product is available.

Apple can't waive these rights, and I am confident they understand the issue fully and completely. My educated guess would be they rely on the destination for shared content to manage this. In this case, Instagram.

Instagram also has a "Music" option in their story composer which apparently is not rolled out to all regions yet and that's why we are getting an error from Instagram, and that is the correct answer for OP.

If this new Music option includes a mechanism for addressing copyright claims then perhaps an overall solution is near.

Otherwise, using a piece of copyrighted music to accompany your photos is not a given right.

Let's not even speak to whether the use of the photos themeless have infringed the right of their copyright holder(s). As a wedding photographer in a previous stage of my life, this has happened to me repeatedly.

Sep 3, 2019 2:14 PM in response to LACAllen

Hey, just wondering why the song sharing option for both SoundCloud and Spotify is then permissible for Instagram Stories. Both services provide a hyperlink within the story for followers to click, redirecting them to the song in-app. Why would Apple Music not be capitalizing on this feature? What difference does Spotify and SoundCloud give to their users that avoids these sharing rights you speak of?

note:

I get the same error message as the original post in this thread

I am a Canadian user

Sep 24, 2019 3:16 PM in response to LACAllen

I’m an artist.. sharing a link on Instagram directing someone to listen to your music is NOT copyright, that’s just so incorrect. Copyright is having a copy of the song with no right or using the song with no rights (e.g adverts, background music in places that earn money, coffee shops). But sharing a link for people to listen to your music in a monetised site... isn’t copyright. Apples messed up and need to solve the problem, there is absolutely no issue with copyright. Nothing to do with instagram not allowing it either.

Oct 10, 2019 9:06 AM in response to dan0ken19

I am having that same issue. I have friends who are able to share links to songs on iTunes to Instagram, but my phone gives me that same error. Very frustrating. I am wondering if it's because of the version of iPhone that I have? It's an ancient iPhone 6. I even subscribed to Apple Music thinking that might solve the issue, but still getting the same error.

Oct 10, 2019 9:07 AM in response to Alikay7

I am having that same issue. I have friends who are able to share links to songs on iTunes to Instagram, but my phone gives me that same error. Very frustrating! I am wondering if it's because of the version of iPhone that I have? It's an ancient iPhone 6. I even subscribed to Apple Music thinking that might solve the issue, but still getting the same error.

Cannot Share Apple Music Song to Instagram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.